Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Parents asking for References

I interviewed a potential family, and they have asked me for references. To be honest, they are the first family that have asked me for a formal list of references, . most of my other children have come to me via word of mouth, where the referring family has spoken nice things about me.

I am thinking of asking my current families, plus a few of my past families. How many references should I have, do you think 3 or 4 is enough? How do you compile your reference lists? Do you think I should ask some I my DCP friends that I know? I know hey would say nice stuff about me. Lol

Outgoing
    All of my families sked for references, and I certainly would have if I were the parent. I was a new daycare, is I didn't have daycare references, but I did have my boss from when I taught Kindermusik classes give a glowing reference about my ability to insert with small children, and my pastor's wife also gave me a great reference since I had watched her children once in a while. I think the fact that my daughter had trusted me to watch her daughter 3 days a week for almost 3 years at that point also give people confidence. Plus, I had successfully raised three children

I have 2 of my current families (the other was not comfortable giving out her #) and one character ref.

Euphoric !
    I have a resume that I give out at the interview and my current families names & phone #'s only are listed at the bottom as references. They are all happy to speak to anybody who wants to ask questions about me or my daycare anytime I'm conducting interviews. But I got their permission to put them on my resume and I advise them when I'm interviewing, well they all know when there's an open space. But I want to be courteous to my current clients and appreciate their co-operation.

To tell you the truth, very few people call the references, I ask my clients if anyone has called! That floors me!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I give the page of references when I do an interview. It contains the names and numbers of current families and 2 previous families so it covers about a 6 year time frame. Very few call the names. What I like is when a parent does call the client tells me the next day they spoke to the family and what they thought or what were issues and I love getting that feedback. And my current parents appreciate getting a feel for anyone new that might be coming into the daycare too.

Euphoric !
    I have a list of references I give out...4 in total. 2 current and 2 past. I also show them all of the written references I have (I ask each family while they are in my care). Some call and some don't.

Shy
    I also give out a list of references during an interview. I have 2 personal references, 3 current families and 3 past families. I have had a few call my references, one potential dcmom call my references at 11pm at night AND her 3yr old was still up yelling and screaming in the background. One of my current families was called at 11:45pm at night...

Needless to say i did not accept this family into care.

Quote Originally Posted by Albertachick View Post
    I also give out a list of references during an interview. I have 2 personal references, 3 current families and 3 past families. I have had a few call my references, one potential dcmom call my references at 11pm at night AND her 3yr old was still up yelling and screaming in the background. One of my current families was called at 11:45pm at night...

Needless to say i did not accept this family into care.
    Maybe its a good idea to ask the references what is an acceptable time to be called and add this in BOLD to the list we give out. If I was a reference for someone and was called at that time, I'd be pissed. It isn't the providers fault but I just wouldn't want to be a reference anymore if it meant the possibility of some moron calling at that time. How rude, and seriously were they never taught any manners?

Shy
    I rotate my references so that the same person is not being bombarded with calls. I also ask people calling to be respectful of times they are calling as these people have young families, work and some are single parents. My references like the fact that I rotate them so that they are not getting calls all the time while I'm trying to fill a spot. Good luck!

I always tell parents to check references of all caregivers they are interviewing. Even if they don't choose me, I think it is one of the most important things to do as a parent before having someone care for your child.

apples and bananas
    When I'm actively interviewing I make sure my current families will reference me. I give all serious people that list. I've never had anyone call anyone to reference me.