Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Looking into starting an at home daycare in Ontario

Hi I am considering opening a daycare and I am a little unsure where to start. I live in Ontario. I know there is a max of 5 children but is there anything else? or any tips would be great. Do I need insurance, etc? Thanks so much feeling confused by all the info out there.

hi and welcome to the forum. Yes, you need business insurance. Talk to your agent and let him/her know the number of children you wish to care for (up to 5). Get a police check for anyone in your household who is over 18, get your cpr/first aid especially for infant/toddlers. Make sure your daycare area is safe. Insure you have any heavy items like book cases secured to the wall, you have working smoke and carbon dioxide detectors at the very least on each level of your home. Have a fire evacuation plan on paper and posted on your daycare wall. Have fire extinguishers easily accessible on each level of your home.
    I use playpens as beds for naptime. They keep the children secure, but of course you must still monitor for safety. You should get a monitor for your nap area. Go online and make sure you know all safe food handling practices. Think about how you want to feed the children. Do you want individual high chairs for all (if you have the room) or do you want them around your dining room table etc.
    Check the CRA website to see what you can deduct as a business expense. Keep all your receipts.
    That is what I can think of at the moment. I am sure another poster will chime in with many suggestions I have forgotten (or hadn't even thought of LOL)
    You have made a smart move joining this forum. I would read as much of the former posts as you can. They are a great learning tool.
    Oh yes a couple more things. HAVE A CONTRACT and a POLICY BOOK. I can't believe I almost forgot that.
    Good luck with your daycare.

Shy
    Totally agree mimi! While it's not required that you most of this unless you are licensed - it's just common sense. It gives the both you and the parents peace of mind that you are prepared and you know what to do in case of emergency. The contract and policy ensure that both you and the parent are on the same page regarding your services, fees, etc. Then they can't come back down the road and say (for example) "what do you mean I have to pay you if my child was too sick to come?" - you can then point out it was in the contract they signed. I ensure that both the parent and I sign the contract, and we each get a copy of it for our records. Other than that, I would suggest networking with other caregivers - on the playground, in playgroups, online (like here ) - wherever you can. You will want the adult time, and it's great to be able to bounce ideas back and forth. Also, if there's a local organization you can join, do it. For example, the local college here has a ECE Professional Resource Centre that you anyone can join and offers workshops through the year. Again it, gives you the adult time and networking, as well and learning some cool stuff.

Good luck!

Euphoric !
    Hi and welcome to the Forum. I am in Orleans (Ottawa east). Our childcare association has a great article on setting up your home for daycare and things to consider. Go to their website and on the left hand side in one of the blue boxes is a link to download the article - daycare start up kit.

Oops forgot to include the link to the website itself:

www.ccprn.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Welcome to the forum. Do you have an Ontario Early Years Centre (OEYC) in your city? They have classes for people who want to start a new home daycare and want to educate themselves about the pitfalls of the business. They also have pages of questions that new parents will ask you at an interview so you can be prepared for the answers you should have ready about your own situation. Good luck!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

sorry I misunderstood what you were ask

Where would I find the schedule for these classes and how do I know where my centre is located?
    Last edited by natjovane; 08-17-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: misunderstood the question

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by natjovane View Post
    Where would I find the schedule for these classes and how do I know where my centre is located?
    You can search the internet for your city to see if you have an OEYC. In the old days we had phone books and you could check the yellow pages! My age is showing.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Hello, i too agree with Mimi, you have to take a business insurance.Consult an insurance agent and he will guide you on how to go about it.