Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Providers with babies!

Hi ladies!
    So, I've been spoiled with dh being home for a 7 month paternity leave...he goes back to work right after labour day. While it's been amazing having him home...I'm suddenly realizing that I'm (and baby!) totally unprepared for being on my own and was wondering how other daycare providers with babies make it work? Since he was home, he did naps and entertained while I focused on the daycare children. Baby has formed some bad habits as a result of this and depends on being rocked to sleep This takes 10-15 min. Obviously, I can't be leaving the daycare children for up to 15 min unsupervised while I rock my 7 month old to sleep twice a day. We've been working (half assed, I'll admit, dh is all about what is easier) on putting him down to sleep while he's drowsy but still awake so he is falling the rest of the way asleep in the crib, but this always results in a screaming (and I mean SCREAMING) episode which ultimately takes up even more time. He's a rotten night time sleeper by the way as well.
    So, ladies with babies!!! How did you work your daycare work day around your infant? Advice?? Tips??
    Thank you in advance!!!

Euphoric !
    Why do you need to leave the room? Babies can be rocked anywhere and a playpen for naps can be in the next room for daytime naps or a quick run up to the crib to put him down.

What about getting a carrier and wearing the baby during daycare hours and letting him fall asleep on his own when he needs to.

You could also suggest that hubby go back to work now instead as the younger the child is the easier he will adapt to the new cry oneself to sleep.

Are there not cradles that can be set to rock. IF baby can learn to go to sleep that way even better.

Guess there is a downside to having help with a newborn. Without help the baby learns to wait their turn very quickly and within a few months are pretty well on a daycare schedule.

Euphoric !
    Well I would start full on putting your son down awake and let him scream and he will get it soon enough .... Just like a daycare child would. You have to be firm and consistent .... The longer you keep rocking him the harder it's going to get.

Starting to feel at home...
    My youngest was 8mo old when I opened my dayhome and she joined us for all of our activities (if we were doing art at the table she was in a highchair playing or watching us). At naptime, I breastfed her in the playroom and she sometimes fell asleep and sometimes didn't, then I would carry her upstairs to her crib. I would have your hubby and baby stay with you and the dc kids for most of the work day for the next month....gives baby and you time to adjust to having him there while you still have an extra set of hands to help out. Good luck