Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OMG...I'm freaking out!!

I just feel like I've been suckerpunched in the stomach.

My sis in law (who helps out once or twice a week) and I took the kiddos to the park today. Nothing eventful happened. Whilst we were there a couple of daycamps came to play as well.

We left for lunch and then I got a message on my voicemail that made me want to vomit.

The message was from a blocked number. The caller (a man) did not leave his number or name. He just stated that he was very concerned as he and some other people witnessed one of the staff members smacking a child in the stomach, spanking another child and shaking yet another. He wanted to let me know so that I can handle the situation accordingly.

I'm flabbergasted. My sis in law and I were in each others eye sights the whole time. We never did any of these things. So I'm terrified that this person is trying to stir up trouble, got me confused with another group or what?? I don't know. The fact that he did not leave his name or number gets me very suspicious as to what his motives are. Suspiciously enough, 20 min. later I get a call from a woman looking for daycare for a 2 year old in Sept. I'm wondering if this is another provider maybe fishing?

I just don't want this person spreading horrible lies or getting my daycare confused with another group? I have always been professional and respect my charges. My sis in law who has been doing daycare for over 10 years in the past would never do this either.

What would you do? I can't track him down to even ask him to describe this "staff member" who was hurting the kids.

The only way he would have gotten my number is off my sign on my lawn which means he either followed us (which means he got the "right" group) or is trying to cause me problems. Why???

Um, okay, maybe a stupid question but how would he even, one, know your name or the name of your daycare, and then, two, know your phone number??? It seems all too weird to me.

apples and bananas
    Oh wow, that would freak me out too.

I don't advertise unless I'm actively looking and I try to not show any signs at the house of having a daycare inside. I know it's hard sometimes, but I don't have a sign up.

It does sound like someone trying to stir up trouble.

I would just ignore it. Nothing will come of it. And if something does? oh well... you weren't doing anything wrong. You have nothing to hide.

That's the thing that is driving me insane! If it was legitimately someone witnessing a child being hurt than you would think they would leave their name and number so that I can contact them and find out a description of my "staff member" and the fact that they would have had to follow me to my street to get my info from my sign. otherwise they don't know me from Adam. This is why I'm thinking it is someone trying to stir up trouble. I think from now on I will only frequent my backyard playground. I don't need the drama from potentially other jealous or malicious providers.

Euphoric !
    While very creepy I know I would probably let it slide. I would be removing my daycare sign from my house as I agree I try not to attract attention to the fact me and the kids are alone inside all day.

For sure if something really happened you would have had a crying child and screaming child so I would not be concerned that anything actually happened concerning one of your children.

There have been several reports of a man out stalking some local playgrounds/children's swimming pool areas taking pictures, etc. It was on the news a couple weeks back but forget which parks. Might be worth looking up which parks were involved and well is it possible that the info should be passed on to the police in the sense that you were followed. I know that could open up a whole can of worms of sorts but really what person follows the provider home and calls her to lodge a complaint when never while you were out did anyone cry. I for sure would stay housebound for awhile if it were me.

As to the lady that wants an interview - don't turn it down without talking to her first. But don't interview her without other adults present in the home and limit what you show her in terms of house layout and valuables, etc in case it is just a casing the joint investigation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I would call the day camp and ask them if they got a weird phone call. Talk to the manager and let her know what had happened.

also, did you see any men in the park, anyone hanging around without kids. I think its someone looking to stir trouble. You can call cas and explain the situation too, they may be able to help you just incase he called there too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to momofnerds For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oops sorry thought you were someone else from the Ottawa area. But leaving these links here in case others from Ottawa have not seen them and want to be more cautious when out at the park.

This is one link to the story. Likely not the same person but I wouldn't rule it out either.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/08/01/...ographing-kids

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ng-photos.html

Would it be worth calling the police to tell them about the incident. The fact they called saying staff member and you work alone means for sure they have the wrong people so that should for sure let the police know the call is not legit.
    Last edited by playfelt; 08-07-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    100% this guy is looking to stir up trouble and that's all. For him to say that he and a few other people witnessed one child get slapped the stomach, another get spanked, and yet another get shaken allllll within one park outing is absurd...and not leaving a name or number makes it more obvious.....AND who in their right mind would call the daycare provider directly to report an incident of this nature (if it was true) ...his first and only call would be to CAS or the police. Just like Judge Judy says, if it doesn't make sense then it's not true.....
    Last edited by PattyCake; 08-07-2013 at 12:50 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PattyCake For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    While it may not be true there for sure is a man following people with children around the area, hanging out the park etc. as in that is the only way they got the phone number.

At the same time it could all just be coincidental in that he was just driving down the street last night and saw the sign and copied the info and made a random call today that just happened to happen after you had actually taken a trip to the park.

This is one of those times when we don't want to get ourselves into trouble and investigated - seems like lodging a complaint on ourselves because for sure CAS would want to investigate to prove nothing happened although one short visit or phone call should do it. On the other hand how would you feel if you didn't report the incident to the police and someone else was stalked and harmed. Tough call. Hope you have relaxed at least a little bit.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    This is relaly creepy! For sure I agree with the others who have suggested you take your sign down. I don't like the idea of people knowing I am here along with the kids, so I don't have my actual address on any of my advertising. I only give it out after having talked on the phone with a prospective client and booking an interview. Playfelt, thanks for the links..I hadn't heard about this and am now on high alert! Especially since I was approached at the park today by an Asian woman who asked if she could take a picture of my daycare kids sitting in my Bye Bye Buggy! Ummm...NO! She didn't speak English that well and I think she just really liked my buggy and thought it would be a cool "touristic" item to photograph and show to her friends back home kind of thing...but my kids are not tourist attractions and I don't let anybody photograph them!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post: