Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    The family I terminated earlier this year wouldn't listen to all my hints but I definitely suspected some form of autism. I never used that word with the family but I hope you can get through to your set of parents Sunnydays. I hope the next caregiver my dcfamily found is able to get through to them and they think back to all the things I was saying over and over and get their child some help.

That's the bottom line you know, we are not the children's parents and ultimately it is not our responsibility. But that was my answer to the problem, I quit trying because I couldn't help the boy and the other children couldn't take it any more so I hope somebody else talks the parents into listening.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I bit the bullet and had the conversation, partly through email and partly at pick-up. I did not use the word Autism, but did let them know that I am concerned about his overall development and his social interaction as well as some other things like that he walks on his toes and often covers his ears, doesn't respond to his name, follow directions, etc. It actually went really well...I think! Mom admitted she is having a hard time accepting that he is delayed, but she appreciated my care and the kind words I also used to describe her child...because he is really a little sweet heart and a great kid! I think I can now sleep easy knowing I did what I had to and the rest is up to the parents. I will also be trying to find more strategies to help him until he gets professional help. Playfelt, this child LOVES music and will do the actions to any song we have sung with great enthusiasm...doesn't sing yet, but does the actions.

Euphoric !
    PLayfelt or anyone else with experience with special needs kids and especially autism, do you have any suggestions of things I could be doing to help this child while we wait for professional assessment and help?

Outgoing
    I had a boy just like the way you describe your dcb. I knew when I got him at 18months that something was up. I chalked it up to him being in a bad daycare. but as time went on and he got older, he was clearly different than the other kids. His first big thing was that he walked on his toes so badly, it was so bad at one point that he was stepping on any child or baby that was on the floor. When I would talk to him he would look like I had 2 heads, the obssession. The obssession of one thing over and over again. Then the biggest thing was the way he acted out in public. He would (at this point he was 4 or 5) ask strangers questions, embarressing questions to boot. He would just go up to them and ask them questions or talk to them. Also, the way he would interact with the kids, it was weird, nothing like I've seen before.

so I always hinted to the parents but they kept saying that he'll fix himself when he gets to school. Others started to notice too, even relatives started to notice, but one time gpa even asked me if I thought there was something wrong. Gpa knew something was up and he did mention it to the parents but they just said that gpa was a busy body.

so dcb starts school, he starts getting notes after notes, mom gets called in and nothing happens. (dcb got off the bus here and mom would gripe about the teacher) so dcb goes to kindy, grade 1 and then grade 2. Same thing, all mom does is gripe about the teachers that they are just awful that they don't know what they are talking about. At this time, since dcb was older he started to disturb the classes with his sound effects, his snorting, being loud.

but something happened in grade 2, I don't know what cause dcb stopped coming here (mom didn't want to pay 5 dollars a day so he can get off the bus here and be here for 45 min) but suddenly he started to go to all sorts of appointments, my kids even said that he is now pulled out of class to see certain therapists (my kids are older and are monitors for the little kids) mom won't say anything. ( I was watching the sibling)

but (omg this is long) do you know what the dad use to say to me--"maybe when the kids make fun of him then he'll stop walking on his toes" "maybe when the kids laugh at him, he'll stop acting the way he does"

I should add, that there are issues on the bus too. No one wants to sit with dcb, because its like he has a touchy feely thing for the kids, but sometimes he'll just start to punch the kids. Bus driver has talked to the family about this, but again parents then blame the bus driver (she's and awesome bus driver, one of the bestest we had)

what I did find was that even thou dcb goes for help (I hope he goes for help) the parents are still in denial, after years of this. Instead of trying to help him or fix some of his problems, they are just still blaming others and are not doing anything (instead of engaging dcb in activities, dcb will sit for hours apon hours playing video games)

another thing, I'm not sure if this would be related (but you never know) is dcb only ate processed food. His diet consistant of chicken nuggets, canned soup and french fries and lunchables. No fruit or veggies and colored juice, this was his whole life so far (don't ask how I know, I do, I just can't say how i know)

so I looked up aspergers when I had dcb and he had most of the syptems to a T. I never said that to the parents, but I have a feeling the school did.

I do hope the parents do something early before a child goes to school.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to momofnerds For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    PLayfelt or anyone else with experience with special needs kids and especially autism, do you have any suggestions of things I could be doing to help this child while we wait for professional assessment and help?
    after you read my story then you'll know. I found that I had to have more control of the situations. Like when we went for a walk, dcb would walk next to me pushing the stroller. When a stranger would walk by, I would remind him "stranger danger" over and over again. When I talked to him, I would ask dcb to repeat it (I talked to him in short simple sentences, like "shoes on") I made sure that he wasn't able to sit and be fixated on one thing, I would rotate the stuff around. I also made sure that there was no touching of kids. it was a bit tiring, but with me, dcb learned to dress himself (the parents would dress him) learned to eat with utensils properly. Little easy basic stuff that many of us take for granted but dcb learned to do it. I treated him like the rest of the kids the only difference was that i had to be more rigid and controlled the enviroment. I rarley had outburst with him, once I figured things out.

Euphoric !
    I will PM you Littlefeet...I already do most of what you posted here. I sing about everything and he loves it and never has problems. He actually behaves really well...follows along...no tantrums. It's just that he doesn't communicate much and plays mostly independently. I think he does well with me because I follow a very predictable routine and he has been with me since he was a baby. He rarely gives me trouble ( unless I tell him not to do something and then he swats at me or scratches me). I would like to help him learn pretend play, social interactions, but it's tough because he doesn't talk much.

Euphoric !
    A few of my teaching manuals have sections on dealing with autism and adaptations. I also have some stuff saved on the computer from when I belonged to yahoo groups and they shared everything. I'll see what would best be adaptable to home daycare.

I do know that a visual schedule and use of PECS(Picture Communication Symbols) are two of the ways they work on communication. Children need to see what is happening, what is coming next. Routine and predictability to the day. Always using the same spot, same chair, order and routine is something they thrive on.

My daughter is a music therapist and works with some kids with autism but mostly after they have been diagnosed and the music is used to reinforce what they are working on.

Read up on ABA as that is used with some children but the idea behind it can be used with all children.

There are also courses at Algonquin college on working with children with autism and since it is becoming more and more prevalent might be worth taking an intro type course.

This might also be a good topic to suggest a workshop on for CCPRN in terms of strategies to use in care.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I was thinking about suggesting it to CCPRn...a workshop on the signs to look for, how to talk to parents about it, and what to do with a child diagnosed who remains in your care. I will do more research and will definitely look into the pictures for communicating. I used to teach ESL to beginners...we used tons of pictures and I tried to use photos when possible...this is quite similar.