Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Unhappy How should i tell parents this!

Hi everyone
    I need to have surgery to have my gallbladder taken out within a month from now. Back in june i had to be rushed to the hospital due to an attack yesterday i went for my follow up and the surgeon told me that because im prone to infections my chances are slim that something could fatale. So im going to get the surgery its a day surgery but the recovery is long because our job is so demanding with lifting and pushing and pulling. I will need to take a min of two weeks off.
    One parent has no one for a replacement and ask my neighbour(who also does daycare too) if she has space for this little one. The other ones have emerg contacts.
    How would you tell the parents i need it off.
    My hoilday s are the last week of august i feel like they will be mad for taken all this time.

Outgoing
    I had my gall bladder out as well. I was actually at the park with my own children same day and went back to work the next week. Are they doing it laproscopy? That's how mine was done and recovery was quick and fast. I was told 5-7 days off work and only needed the 5...well probably didn't even need that I just did it to be careful. You have to do what's best for you. If you don't have surgery it will get worse and could require a more intensive surgery (if the stones get stuck in the bile ducts etc.) and then they would be out a daycare provider for a much longer period of time! My experience with this surgery was awesome. I truly felt no pain whatsoever after and all the pain and discomfort from needing it removed was gone. Well worth it!

Outgoing
    My daughter and I both had it done laparascopically. Mine was 5 years ago, my daughters was in February. Recovery was relatively easy, but you are not allowed to lift more than 10 pounds for a month. My granddaughter was only 2 months old at the time my daughter had it done, so my son-in-law had to bring my daughter and the baby here every morning on his way to work and pick them up at night. I had to lift the baby onto my daughter's lap for nursing. Ask your doctor about this. I believe the one-month no lifting rule is standard. You would need someone else to be there to lift babies onto change table, into high chairs and playpens.

Starting to feel at home...
    I had to have surgery and was going to be out for 4 weeks. Just be honest. It's not like you purposefully gave yourself the problem. It's a health issue and if they can't be understanding about that...

Send an e-mail first and let them know you'll be following up with a phone call to answer any questions they might have.

I have heard as well how much less invasive the laproscopy procedure is and how recovery is much quicker. That said, since lifting is an issue while you recover, can you have someone assist you during the day for a while? If you can have this help, I am sure you will be able to open sooner.
    When families choose a home daycare, they do have to reasonably expect that a medical leave may occur and should have back up care for this event. If I were you, I would speak to each family and let them know your expected recovery time and not worry about them while you do recover. Back up care is their problem not yours. Your job will be to have a safe and healthy recovery. Good luck with your operation

Euphoric !
    Ouch, best of luck to you sweetness and hope that your surgery goes well and your clients are very understanding.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.