Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

Terminating a client due to lack of space

I need some help. Actually, I just kind of need everyone to push me over the edge.

I have a client who I have had before/after since I opened. She is under no contract, no policies. She's older, but not old enough to not count towards my numbers anymore. I just recently did a small rate increase (July 1) to bring her in line with everyone else.

I have 2 clients on mat leave right now. When they both return in November I will be 5 little ones full time. I will no longer have room for my b/a school client.

I know I have to terminate based on numbers alone, and I'm hoping to do it in the next few days so that I'm giving 3 months notice, but it's a hard one. She's friends with my daughter so I'd like to still invite her over for play dates. And truth be told, I don't think mom will be upset, I think she'll just be in panic mode as her hours are very early and very un predictable. Some weeks I have her 3 days a week, some weeks I don't have her at all. Some weeks she's here before 6am and others she's here right until 5:30.

I feel like I'm terminating someone for no reason. But If I keep her I'd have to term an entire full time family. So, I know it doesn't make any sense to keep her, but I don't know how I'm going to explain this to the family. I feel horrible for her, there's no one around my area with my flexibility, and even I'm tighting up on my hours to come in line with everyone else.

Help! How do I do it? How do I do it and not feel horrible for doing it?

Outgoing
    I would just be honest with her and tell her that you no longer have room in your programming for her as a client. You could also just let her know that you are limited in the number of children you can take, and your full time clients take precedence over part time.

Unfortunately, this is part of the business, and sometimes it sucks. I would just keep it quick and simple and try not to feel guilty for doing what is best for your family.

first of all you are not terminating for no reason. You have a reason and a good one.

After careful consideration you feel that your business is now moving in a different direction form when you started. Your business will no longer be doing before and after school care.

This is a business decision so don't feel bad about it. You are being very nice with giving them such a long notice.

Euphoric !
    I agree on using the moving in a new direction as the reason and that as of Sept you will no longer be doing before/after school. I would do it now so that the mom can line something up for a Sept start. It means being without the income till Nov but sounds like it isn't that much anyways. Hopefully once Sept comes and the space is open that you can encourage your returning families to start integrating gradually and use the space some days. On the other hand enjoy the lower numbers as a break before starting the new little ones. Either way is good for the soul.

This is an area that is also grey. If you are not being paid for a child and they just come over to play with your child who is responsible for them as in do they count in your five kids or not. Mom obviously won't be there.

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I agree on using the moving in a new direction as the reason and that as of Sept you will no longer be doing before/after school. I would do it now so that the mom can line something up for a Sept start. It means being without the income till Nov but sounds like it isn't that much anyways. Hopefully once Sept comes and the space is open that you can encourage your returning families to start integrating gradually and use the space some days. On the other hand enjoy the lower numbers as a break before starting the new little ones. Either way is good for the soul.

This is an area that is also grey. If you are not being paid for a child and they just come over to play with your child who is responsible for them as in do they count in your five kids or not. Mom obviously won't be there.
    I wouldn't have her come over when I have daycare, paid or unpaid, it's the same risk as far as I'm concerned. I'd have her over for playdates and such on the weekends. Just as my kids do now.

I have room for her until the end of October. I can do it until then.

The money is not the issue at all. it's so minimal. Especially during the school year. The only time it's good is during PA days and summer. And I do one other b/a school, but she's a sibling of one of my FT. So, it's the whole family.

Euphoric !
    While you may have room for her till Oct. Many caregivers and afterschool programs are filling for Sept and it would be better for the child to start the new program at the start of the school year so they develop those friendships and routines rather than changing. As a parent I would be very upset if you waited till Sept to tell me of the change once all the good spaces are filled but at the same time if you tell me now I am going to make the switch for the start of the school year if I can. Guess it depends on how much you want to upset the parent.

Quote Originally Posted by apples and bananas View Post
    Help! How do I do it? How do I do it and not feel horrible for doing it?
    You take off your personal feelings hat and you put on your business woman hat, that's how.

Daycare is a business first and foremost. And anyone who says otherwise has blinders on. Parents pull children from good, quality daycare for lesser reasons ALL the time because it better suits them to send their child to pre-school, or to have grandma care for them for free etc etc etc. They don't feel horrible about doing what they think THEY need to do so neither should YOU!

You don't only have to terminate someone only if they are displaying bad behaviour. You are terminating because this is the best decision for your business - nothing personal and no bad feelings.
    I just had a parent give notice earlier than I expected. It was the best scenario for HER and I didn't take it personal, though in my early years of daycare I would have. Even though most of us have good clients, no one is going to stay if they don't need to, no matter how much they like us. The clients are going to do what suits them always and as a business person, you need to do what is best for your business, always.

Expansive...
    I was in the same position last year wherein I had a full time family interested in starting but I had a part time after school child taking up that spot. Like you, some times she came 2-3 times per week and sometimes, zero times during a week. I felt really bad because like you, it was my daughter's friend and I also really loved the parents. I was just completely honest with her and gave her plenty of notice as you intend to...I told her that I love having her child around but this a a complete business move "for financial reasons". I actually got stressed out so much about it leading up to giving her notice...but then once I bit the bullet and went through with it, it went way more smoothly than what I imagined could happen (I was imagining conflict, lol) and I felt much better afterwards!! It's hard, but everything will be ok

apples and bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I was in the same position last year wherein I had a full time family interested in starting but I had a part time after school child taking up that spot. Like you, some times she came 2-3 times per week and sometimes, zero times during a week. I felt really bad because like you, it was my daughter's friend and I also really loved the parents. I was just completely honest with her and gave her plenty of notice as you intend to...I told her that I love having her child around but this a a complete business move "for financial reasons". I actually got stressed out so much about it leading up to giving her notice...but then once I bit the bullet and went through with it, it went way more smoothly than what I imagined could happen (I was imagining conflict, lol) and I felt much better afterwards!! It's hard, but everything will be ok

Judy is absolutely right about putting on the right hat for the job. But its sometimes hard to separate those feelings. I don't know where they're going to find alternate care... but really it's none of my business and shouldn't be concerning to me. I am concerned about the girl feeling "rejected" not knowing why she can't come anymore, but in reality, I know she will make a new friend somewhere else.

It takes me a while to separate those feelings and talk myself into the business decision... but all of this encouragement helps. Thanks!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Lou