Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Same thing happened to me recently ecxept that they gave me a few months notice. I understood because they were doing two pick-ups and drop-offs with big brother being at school and after care. This also assures their space for before and after when the child starts school. They were very sad to leave, but I did understand the decision as it is not always easy to get into the before and after care. Of course it was a child and family who I adored..so it was hard!

Outgoing
    that stinks. Did they ever mention that if there was a spot open that they would switch. I also wouldn't take the baby.

apples and bananas
    This does suck! I'm so sorry. It's so nice when we get good parents and good kids and everyone is getting along and our days go so smoothly. Now, you'll have to start all over again with a new one. It's really unfortunate.

I have the opposite situation. I just gave a client 3 months notice because I have babies coming in and I'll be over ratio if I keep her. It came as a huge shock to them, and there were even tears this morning (hers, not mine)

it's just part of the business, the sucky part of the business.

I hope your next client is even better then this one!

Expansive...
    That sucks!!! I'm sorry you're sad. It's soooooo hard not to take it personally when we pour our hearts into this work. I'm 100% sure that it has NOTHING to do with your services, and it's just an opportunity that they have been waiting for that works for their family. Still stinks on your end!!!! Hope your interviews go well!

I think the reason it is so disheartening is that a lot of the times parents are not upfront with their intentions. I know that I personally ask EVERY interviewing parent if they have ANY intention EVER of putting their child in a centre. I ask this question for two reasons; one, I want to know how long they are planning to stay in care, and two, it means that our philosophies with regard to care and parenting are likely different. And both of those reasons above are enough for me to pass on them and go to the next family.

I have had FOUR kids, over the years, leave to go to pre-school or equivalent. And I asked every one of those parents if that was in their plans and every one of them looked me in the face and said, "No". Heck one family even had their oldest in care with me, pulled her for pre-school at one point and then when they had their youngest asked me to care for her and I asked them, point blank, if they intended to pull her too one day and they said "No". Of course, they LIED and DID pull her when she was pre-school aged.

My point is, parents will often lie to get what they want in that moment. It's not right and that is why we are so disheartened. It would be NO different than if we had a spot open for 8 months until a current client came back from mat leave, took that new client under the assumption, by them, that this was a permanent thing, and then termed them 8 months down the road. If WE did that we are seen as bad business people. It's the double-standard.

Euphoric !
    In fairness to the parents when they first place the baby in homecare that is what they want as they have turned down centre care at that point and are interviewing for homecare. As the child gets older and they meet other people whose kids are in daycare centres and they start to wonder if they should do the same thing. Parents do want their babies in homecare but most also question if they are holding their older child back by not having them in a daycare centre ie toddler school.

Mostly any time I have had a child leave parents have admitted to having the child's name on a wait list since before they started in my care or had put child's name on list two years before JK hoping to have a space by schooltime having been told the wait list was about 2 years long only to get in after a year of waiting.

And yes there will also be the ones that completely outright lied telling us what they thought we wanted to hear because they were desperate for the daycare space in our home.

I find I have such a turnover due to maternity leave that daycare centre issues rarely surface because first child leaves by age 2 and most wait to get into centre till child can move to the older age group as it is easier to get in and costs less than infant care.

Same thing here. Parents were swearing that CPE was not for them AND that there was no issue with money (I'm private) Just last week mom was saying how she didn't understand why parents would move their kids sooooo easily...

It's sad to see a great kid that you've cared for leave...

Hope you fill the space soon!
    We show love to our children in 4 ways: Eye contact, physical contact, sustained attention, and discipline. Every sphere is as crucial as the next one.

Shy
    Very sorry to hear Cadillac. I know what it feels like to depend on the money you're expecting to come in. I also know how attached you can get to these kids AND their families. As was previously stated, try to be as professional and upfront about your feelings so that you can still use them as a reference as it does seem that you were the perfect fit, if it wasn't for French. Good luck to you.

Shy
    Same happening to me... really sucks

Euphoric !
    In about another week the phone will start ringing off the hook with parents desperate for their child to find a space for Sept. They have gone under the assumption child would have a space in daycare centre from the waitlist and now can't wait any longer. Only to find they have a space by Oct. This happens with the school age programs too as families move over the summer or decide to leave child at the caregivers home or decide on a nanny after all or grandma, etc - all the usual excuses. It happens every year it seems.