Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

WFT? . . . . I'm so sad

One of my clients is leaving. The parents raved about my . . . everyday she would compliment how much he learns and how much he loves his friends . . . everyday!

Suddenly she is leaving to go to a French facility daycare (French is important to her).

I'm stuck having to reimburse the rest of the month (not in my contract and will change that) so the deposit may be used for the next two weeks.

I'm sad. His little friend is going to feel so lost . . . .

I was holding a spot for their 5 month old daughter . . . which they still want me to do . . . wont be doing that . . .

if she was so happy here there are so many other ways to learn French!

I'm stuck in a terrible spot financially by a client who I thought had serious mutal respect and even a little friendship!

I/m so sad

Euphoric !
    This is so scary and I'm sorry you're sad Cadillac. When even our happiest, best clients could leave in a heartbeat, how can we ever feel confident that we're paying our bills next month? We're in a tricky business. Good luck filling your space with another great family.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I hate when the expectation is for long term care, as this client seemed to indicate to you, abruptly comes to a halt. You truly feel blindsided. I have had a couple of these and it does hurt as the child was a great fit and of course the income seemed reliable. I now don't take heed when they tell me they are in till child goes to J.K. because I know so many things can change that would alter that long term prognosis. Fortunately, they are leaving for a reason that does not have anything to do with the care you provided. Ask them to please refer you to their friends and end this professional relationship in a positive, upbeat manner. This client will remember this as she probably does feel bad about leaving your daycare.
    Feel sad for a bit, and then get busy filling that spot I wish you lots of luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac View Post
    One of my clients is leaving. The parents raved about my . . . everyday she would compliment how much he learns and how much he loves his friends . . . everyday!

Suddenly she is leaving to go to a French facility daycare (French is important to her).

I'm stuck having to reimburse the rest of the month (not in my contract and will change that) so the deposit may be used for the next two weeks.

I'm sad. His little friend is going to feel so lost . . . .

I was holding a spot for their 5 month old daughter . . . which they still want me to do . . . wont be doing that . . .

if she was so happy here there are so many other ways to learn French!

I'm stuck in a terrible spot financially by a client who I thought had serious mutal respect and even a little friendship!

I/m so sad
    SAME thing happening to me at present. And, yes, I am with you, I will NOT be taking the baby. Not happening. I am not getting blindsided twice. Having two kids in different daycares will NOT last. The parents WILL get tired of the multiple pick ups and the second that baby is old enough to attend the other daycare they WILL pull him.

Yes, sometimes this job SUCKS.

Outgoing
    Sorry to hear that. Its amazing how parents expect so much from US but have no problem dropping us. I make it a point now with every inquiry/email to ask how long they will be requiring care for. Are they on a waiting list for a centre/school etc? Hopefully you are able to fill the spot soon!

Euphoric !
    I have one in care right now that is on the waitlist for the French daycare at the school that she will eventually attend and has been since they moved to the area - ie checked into that first and when that wasn't a go started looking for homecare. They are now pregnant and due in January and wants me to keep the first child part time 3 days a week for the year and then hold a spot from Sept to Jan for the baby and said they would pay something for the hold. But then that is when they spilled the part about of course if older one gets into the daycare for next year maybe we won't need the hold after all....ummmmmm going to make my own plan and own decisions about who gets what space and when. I am not French and I suspected that could eventually be an issue but wasn't getting a lot of bites at the time. They have also asked me about keeping child for the JK year instead of sending her due to the fact she was premature and tiny and behind and well lots of issues for sure.

Euphoric !
    As much as the family was happy with your care it is the way the waitlist for a daycare centre works. Some are attached to the school and do the before and after care as well and some cater to a specific need such as language, Montessori, religious affiliation, etc. Parents often put their child's name on the list at the daycare centre as soon as they find out they are pregnant. When a space doesn't open they look to homecare. Even though they love our program if the daycare is their first choice as soon as a space comes up they have two choices. Take the space within the next week or go to the bottom of the list again. That call can come at anytime. September, January and June are the usual months for the spaces to open but can happen anytime without warning if a child leaves the daycare the next name on the waitlist gets called.

My point is the move to the daycare isn't always because they don't like or value what we offer it is because they have had their heart set on a different path from the beginning or because they are looking towards the future - ie assuring their child has a school daycare placement for when the time comes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Lou

Starting to feel at home...
    I think families leaving suddenly is the thing this month! One of my families that also thanks me and was raving just told me they are looking for other care because I won't lower my afterschool rate. (ps it is a very reasonable rate!)

Expansive...
    I agree with playfelt. Although it sucks having to fill a spot it has nothing to do with your services. If I wanted my child to learn French I would probably move them when age appropriate too. Maybe the French program only starts at a certain age. I would have no problem keeping the baby either and would assume they would move baby to French when they were older as well. A lot of parents prefer home settings when their child is really young and want larger centre care when they get closer to school age.

Of course, the issues with refunds and holding spots are different and I hope you can clear up your contract to prevent this in the future.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Lou

Expansive...
    It just sucks

I have an interview tonight and tomorrow and two next week so I'm not worried about filling the spot . . . just . . . . sad that this all happened . . . financially it was terrible timing as well

Thank guys!

Love the support