Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello, I'm new to this forum.

I run a home based daycare in Ontario. I've had this same family for the past 5 years. One of the girls now attends the school in my area, not their neighborhood school. Her sibling stays with me ( who is 3). We all really like each other very much! Now for my concern...I charge $35 for the 3 year old and $9 a day for before and after school care. I don't raise my fees for PA days or march break even the summer holidays! I know this was my choice to work this way, but recently I found out that the mum has a day off during her work week but she still brings her kids for the full days mon to fri. Sometimes they show up 1 hour late in the a.m. But they NEVER think to pick up the kids a little earlier. This has ruffled my feathers a little bit. I'm giving the best rates,but yet while the parent is home 1-2 days a week they are not picking up their kids earlier. I would be happy with just an hour early pick up. I have asked on 2 occasions (when I know the parent is at home) if I can have an early pick up, and I've been denied...wheres the yin/yang here? How can I make them understand that I'm giving to them and get nothing back....ugh...

Starting to feel at home...
    Oh wow, there is a great deal of giving on your part there, but only taking on theirs. Is the $9 a day even covering the costs of keeping the older child in care on full days? If not then it is costing you to care for their child, rather than earning an income for your family.

Another way to look at it is

$9/day = $45/week = $2250/year (if 50 weeks)
    $35/day = $175/week = $8750/year (if 50 weeks)

With a new full time client replacing the B&A slot you would be making
    $6500 more a year.

I know it is not always about money, but at this point it seems you feel the kindness is not being reciprocated. When the younger starts school are you going to be willing to have two full time slots taken up for $18 a day?

Maybe it's time to revamp your rates for September and issue a new contract. Or if you are content with the rates and value time more, work that into their contract.

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Discoveries For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Welcome to the forum Crwk and I hope we can help you. I've been in business about the same amount of time as you, but I'm afraid I got a lot tougher a lot faster. These people are taking advantage of you in a very bad way.

Do you have a contract? I hope so. It's time for you to make it stricter, raise your rates for b/a school especially and enforce all of your rules. I have a maximum 9 hour day, late/early fees, and my unwritten rule is that if parents are not working with me, then I must say goodbye. I don't care if the parents are at home or at work as long as they drop off and arrive when expected, treat me with respect and follow all my rules. With some people mutual respect comes easily but with selfish people you have to DEMAND RESPECT. Please start doing that!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    My b and a rates are $15 for either or and $25 for both ....and they have to pay the full days fees $40 for pa days, school holidays, snow days, summer.....ect...... you are being taken advantage of. if it were me I would send out a notice saying in two weeks(whatever notice you have stated in your contract for changes) the rates are being raised to xxxx for b and a and xxxx for full days. cause really it wouldn't be worth it to me to look after someone elses kid for $45 a week. Hopefully they aren't your only kids and you can afford to let them go if needed

Shy
    I agree with Crayola Kiddies. I charge $15 a day for before and after school and $25.00 for full day school age. I charge $35 for children ages 1-4 for a day.

Outgoing
    Hi there, I've been running my own home daycare for many years and believe me...I've seen EVERYTHING. I actually have a parent that sits in her car in my driveway and waits until the very last minute of my operating times...to come and get her child. She told me "I pay you for 10 hours a day..and I'm going to use 10 hour a day"....how SAD IS THAT....I looked her in the face and said "fine....just DON'T USE A MINUTE MORE"....we have to suck it up and accept the fact that not everyone's child comes first....MONEY DOES!

Euphoric !
    I would be inclined to speak with the parent and let them know that given that expenses have gone up since you started caring for the children that you can no longer give the subsidized rates. Even if you allow it for the Christmas break use that as their final time. Let them know that you will be raising the rates as of January for the afterschool child to the full day rate for non school days as a starter. That will cover March break and summer. Expect them to find a teen for the summer but that is ok too since by then you will be ready to replace them with two full paying clients.

Euphoric !
    They are certainly taking advantage of you. On the day the school aged child is in your care for a full day you need to charge the same fee as the sibling.

I too had a family take advantage of me in the same way. When I first started my daycare I started with 1 boy. I charged $25 a day. When I started taking other children I increased my fee to $27 a day. The family ended up suffering a terrible tragedy. At that time I agreed to take the older boy before and after school. Feeling bad for them I only charged $2 a day (for 2 hours) for that child. I ended up increasing that rate to $3 eight months later and eventually to $5 a day ten months after that. I also had increased my full day fee to $28 during that time. I gave the family a break and for the most part took the oldest son during days off school and during the summer. The one day after 3 years of care they totally out of the blue gave their notice and in 2 weeks were gone. No gift, no card, no thanks. I was hurt. We ended up running into them a month later at the campground and all that they did was say Hi and keep walking. I was crushed.

Sad to say but we have to keep our heart out of it when it comes to the parents. Don't do them any favours because they obviously don't do you any.

Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Hi there, I've been running my own home daycare for many years and believe me...I've seen EVERYTHING. I actually have a parent that sits in her car in my driveway and waits until the very last minute of my operating times...to come and get her child. She told me "I pay you for 10 hours a day..and I'm going to use 10 hour a day"....how SAD IS THAT....I looked her in the face and said "fine....just DON'T USE A MINUTE MORE"....we have to suck it up and accept the fact that not everyone's child comes first....MONEY DOES!
    That is one of the saddest things I have read on this forum. She actually sits in her car waiting for the clock to tick to get her money's worth?? Her poor child. What an idiot. Ask a parent who has lost a child how much they would pay to have 1 more minute of time with them. I feel so sorry for her little one.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Mummy View Post
    That is one of the saddest things I have read on this forum. She actually sits in her car waiting for the clock to tick to get her money's worth?? Her poor child. What an idiot. Ask a parent who has lost a child how much they would pay to have 1 more minute of time with them. I feel so sorry for her little one.
    Yes it is sad isn't it!! I have had parents who won't take any holidays because I am open and how terrible it would be if they actually paid me for a day their child wasn't here. The mom actually asked me why I don't take more holidays in a year because she has 5 weeks to use up. How could you not want to take paid time off if you had it!!