Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

At my breaking point!!

I just had a parent call me and inform me they will not be attending next week because they are going on their vacation!
    This family is starting to drive me nuts!
    Last week she told me they were looking for new daycare because my B/A rate is too high ($80 a week includes pd days and snow days) and they need to buy a new car.
    I am at my breaking point between all day kindergarten and stupid selfish people!!
    I am actually getting depressed because I may have to give up my daycare and go back to work. I was hoping to be at home for 2 more years. I just need 1 more full time kiddo and we would be able to tread water a little longer.
    BAH!!
    Thank you for listening ladies!

Yes, this business and clients can be sooo frustrating at times Robyn. It is scary when our finances hinge on having all our spaces full or we are in the poor house (so to speak). When my clients go on holidays they pay for their spot. Is that what you have in your contract? They also may have been playing you regarding complaining about your rates trying to get you to decrease your rates. Sorry, I wouldn't lower my rates to subsidize their new car purchase. Hang in their sweetie and advertise!!!

Euphoric !
    If you don't get paid for holidays then I would amend your contract to say something like " four weeks notice is required for your holidays if not taken at the sane time as mine or full fees will still be required ". That gives you some budgeting notice

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I will be changing my contract a lot over the next couple of days. I have it written that two weeks notice is required for any changes in care including vacation.
    I will be adding a deposit section and bolding the part about notice.
    I actually did a hand out reminding all my families about what I have off and that two weeks notice is required if they take any additional time off. This family has always driven me nuts sadly. I had to practically beg to get their new number when they moved its just a bad scene.

Mimi she was trying to get me to haggle about my rates and I won't do it I would rather end up in the poor house than lower my rates. It's not very often I get stubborn about something but this has really pee'd me off!!

I don't blame you for not haggling Robyn. She crossed the line. It is about respect and the hard work we do is not open for rate negotiation. I am sure you are charging fair market value for your area so if someone wants a discount they can go else where and get a discounted level of care and program. I agree, I would rather save a buck else where rather than take on clients like this.
    I hope you find another client and cut this one lose.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    My contract allows client to take one week unpaid. But they have to give me 30 days notice otherwise they pay for the week.

Euphoric !
    Best thing I ever did for my daycare was get rid of school age kids and keep all spaces for full time only. For sure advertise their space now because there is a good chance they are not coming back in the sense she "gave notice" and then suddenly needs to not come.

Because I don't do even JK I have had to resign myself to constant turnover. I don't mind all babies so that helps. I really miss doing the "teaching" aspect of daycare though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I am with Playfelt. I am sticking to the babies up to JK. Much less stress and you are guaranteed a break in the afternoons!

Euphoric !
    Me too, no school aged children at my daycare, 4 and under only. I love it! I don't mind part-timers who come 3 days/week but they must be full days.

I allowed parents to have some unpaid vacation time in my first year in business. I changed that quickly when I found out that they didn't care if they missed up my budget for the month by announcing that they were taking a vacation suddenly. So I changed my contract so that they pay every week all year round no matter what, except for my closed vacation weeks. That way we can all budget and since I'm always open for business their space is available at all times, so why shouldn't they pay for it? You need to use that little speech, Robyn!!!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

If they can afford to go on vacation they can afford to pay you. Money is not about money it is about priorities. I'm pretty sure they didn't call up their Cable TV provider and tell them that they were going on vacation and therefore not paying for cable service that week.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: