Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

DCM "Telling" me that DCG will be changing from FT to Casual PT? Ummm no?!

So DCM of my 15m dcg who I have had since March FT tells me a couple of months ago that she was looking for a job closer to home, she currently commutes and works longer hours. She mentioned shortly after that she got a clerical position with the school board in our region. Perfect. Shorter hours for dcg and less commute. Sounded great.
    Yesterday she drops off and says that she will be calling me on the days that she needs care effective Sept 9. Ummm excuse me? I asked her to clarify and she explained that her position will be "Casual Clerical" so its like a supply teacher. You don't know how often or what school you will be working for. I just acted surprised and just said "well we will wait and see then." Who knows, she could be getting alot of hours or maybe not. My thought is to give it a few weeks and see how often she is working and if its not a minimum of 3 days a week I will tell her that dcg needs to attend or they pay for 3 days a week or I can no longer provide care. I need the FT income.
    Thoughts?

Euphoric !
    If she is working varied hours then she still pays full time or very close to it since you are reserving the entire week for her. How many of those days she actually uses is not your problem. I would be letting her know now that that is the way it will be and if you don't get a good read from her then let her know that you can not take the chance she will bail come Sept when her days of care are less than fulltime.

Other option is to go to a daily rate but make it at least $5 more than your rate now and request a 3 day minimum to hold the space. Then you would not be down a lot of money and have some easier days. But if you want full pay then consider yourself warned by this parent they assume they don't have to pay by the space so make it clear now they do.

Expansive...
    Even if you could afford the full-time income loss to drop to 3 days a week, she would essentially want you to be "on call" If the days change every week, then she is taking up a full-time spot, and should be charged accordingly, or a much higher daily rate at a 3 day a week minimum to compensate for the loss. Personally, I would start advertising for a full-time spot, and give notice as soon as you've secured a new client.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Outgoing

Thank you Playfelt

I have a "feeling" that she will not want to pay for the full weeks fees. DCD works "casual construction" so I have a sneaking suspicion that will not fly.
    I have had dcg since March so I am not worried about how reduced days will affect her behaviour here. Its moreso my income.
    I will say something to her about needing a minimum of 3 days a week and then I am going to just keep my options open, and see what happens after the first 2 weeks. Who knows.
    I am also newly pregnant so if this is going to become an issue and I need to start advertising and interviewing I want to get started on that now as opposed to being hugely pregnant.

Expansive...
    I think I'd go $10 a day higher, as it's not just part-time, but part-time rotating days, so you can't fill the rest of the spot. At least at a $10 premium for 3 days, you have regained most of the fees for another full day a week.

Euphoric !
    Guessing considering the dad's job that her plan is to only use you on the days dad is not there as there may be days he is home too and they don't need care - especially in the winter as much construction stops.

Euphoric !
    If she is using different days every week but wants the whole weeks availability then she needs to pay for the whole week . I would advertise for a full time spot and see who bites and if I could find a family that would be a good fit then I would tell that mom that since she needs everyday available to her she needs to pay full time fees and when she says no then you can say bye and take on the new full time family.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks everyone! My thoughts exactly. Say minimum 3 days at a higher rate. Prepaid every Monday.
    I will start advertising and see who bites. I have a family who dcg was a clingy screamer who was not fitting in. I told them to keep in touch and they have so I will perhaps give them the option of returning for October and in the meantime give them the opportunity to further prepare their clingy screamer. She lasted 1 month here.

You need to tell her that she has to commit to paying a minimum number of days per week regardless of attendance. And you need to tell her this BEFORE she starts doing her "casual" thing. You are not a drop-in centre. I wouldn't do it for less than a minimum payment of 3 days per week.

Starting to feel at home...
    Definitely tell her now. Don't wait till later.