Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    apples and bananas

Transitioning to a sleep mat

I have a 2.5 year old, still in a playpen. I know... he should be on a mat by now. I want to move him to a mat, the problem is that he rolls around before he sleeps. Some days it's for a few minutes, some days it's his entire naptime. He'll roll around for 2 hours. He's quiet, so he doesn't disturb anyone, but I'm concerned if I put him on a cot he'll roll right off of it.

Now, he has been with me for the past year for 2 days a week as mom's on mat leave. He starts back full time next week. I'm wondering if I give him a few weeks to get back into regular nap routine that will fix things.

Does anyone else have a little one that just rolls around? And what happened when you moved them to a sleep mat?

What are your guidelines to know they're ready to come out of the playpen?

Euphoric !
    I wait as long as I can to move them to the mats as I find it goes easier in the sense they understand when I say lay down and stay there I mean it.

I also try to keep them in the playpen till parents make the move to bed at home and then they get the task of teaching child to lay down and stay put which makes the transition at daycare a lot easier.

I have 4 playpens and 4 mats so I can pretty much do it either way but do whatever gives me the most peaceful naptime.

Since he is coming back full time it might also be the time to say new life new plan. Your baby sibling will need the baby playpen to sleep now and since you are the big boy now you get to sleep on a mat with the big kids - build up the not a baby anymore thing.

Just place the sleep mat where it doesn't matter if he rolls off a bit. Another trick is using a childsize sleeping bag and putting the mat in the bag - it limits how much they can move.

Outgoing
    I have a 3 year old in a playpen :/. He's still in a crib at home, and has never tried to climb out of it here (and I watch them closely on the video monitor), or at home as far as mom tells me.

The provincial standards that I go off of say that they must be moved to a mat/cot only when they start to climb out, or no longer fit lengthwise. He's tiny so there's still lots of room. And he still actually sleeps. It would be different if he was up and bored during that time, but he's not.

I want to move him onto a mat anyway, but this summers been hectic and busy, so naps have been late or missed. I'm waiting until things settle a bit, September is a good transition month in my mind. Having said that, I don't exactly have a plan of action - ill be following to hear other suggestions!

I don't use a sleep mat as I have a couch in the playroom which has in the past accommodated 2 children with no problems. If the child is able to follow instruction and understands that it is time to sleep/rest and that they must stay where they are laying till I come and get them then that is when I start them on the couch.
    Here, to be allowed to sleep on the couch is considered a big deal, so the kids have always been good so they don't loose their treasured couch spot.

Shy
    I have all my children on mini sleeping bags. I have just transitioned one recently from the playpen and he did very well. Being consistent with the child and letting him or her know that we stay on the mat until I take you off. I did have to put the child back on his bed for the first few days until he was used to being on the mat. Good Luck

Expansive...
    I don't know who decided there was an age where a child "should" move to a mat. I figure as long as he fits, is safe and comfortable then stay in the play pen!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

For me it used to be 18 months when I move them to cots (since this is how daycare centers here do it when kids change rooms). I just started doing it earlier with my current crew (around 13 months) since I had an illness and one of the babies was to heavy for me to hold him and get him in the playpen. I spoke with all parents before making the switch and all agreed. Now I have two 14 mos old and one 13 mo sleeping in cots. I transitioned them to cots almost at the same time I was transitioning them to daycare. They stay in the cot. I had one of them that got out once and try to wander around, but after my stern voice telling him not to do it he stopped it.

apples and bananas
    I like them in play pens as long as possible too! But I have 2 wee ones starting in the fall and I'm tripping over play pens already. Drives me nuts! So, in order to keep what little bit of my sanity I have left, I'm trying to reduce the amount of un nessasary daycare equipment cluttering up my life.

I have never had a child try to wonder around from a cot. I've had them fall out... lol, but never wander.

I have his sister starting full time next week so maybe I'll give her a week to settle into nap time and then switch him over. I don't think he'll wander, I'm just concerned because he can't seem to lay still. LOL Maybe a sleep mat opposed to a cot.

I love the sleeping bag around the sleep mat idea. I may give that a try.

Shy
    I love the sleeping bags. All my parents a very comfortable with this as the sleep area is also carpeted and its safer from them rolling off the cots. The kids learn to adjust to the area they have to sleep on and will stay. Good luck.

Starting to feel at home...
    I actually have children sleeping on camp mats on the floor from day 1. They each have their own bedding that we put on top of it and they're good to go- nothing to climb out of and no rolling off. Yes, this limits me to where I can be during nap time but I prefer them in my sight anyways. I'll sit down on the floor with the youngest ones until they doze off but the big ones know to stay put. It's great because if I'm running late with lunch clean up I have the four year olds set up the beds for me! It gets to be such the norm that even the 2 year olds will try to set up their own! The parents are happy because they find transitioning to beds easier at home. i guess everyone just has to find what works best for their set up!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post: