Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Just Starting... Any suggestions?

I am new to daycare bear, and of course starting a daycare. So I decided to quit my job to stay home with my 2 children (3 and 6). I was in college while they were younger and only worked full time for a few months before realizing I hated being away from them, and the only option I had to be with them more, was to start a daycare. I have always wanted to just didn't have the space or resources at the time.
    So now we are in a bigger house and I can start which is great but, I'm getting a little nervous about it. I have put a lot of time and money setting up but what if I don't have children right away or for awhile? I know these things take time, I guess I'm just a little worried about the beginning, plus I don't have a lot of experience maybe only a few years and that was just watching friends and family's children. Any tips for a beginner ?

Tips? There are hoards of tips. Some of them we could tell you about but most of them you will need to learn by getting hit by the swing. If you look at the link at the bottom of my posts you can click and go to my blog. There is a ton of resources there. But, most importantly, it will show you that you are NOT alone when you start to have feelings of despair or resentment or anger. And, YES, you WILL have those feelings at one time or another. Daycare is a real eye-opening experience with regard to the psychology of people - parents and children included. I could tell you stories of maltreatment toward providers by parents that would make your eyes pop out of your head. I don't mean to fill you will negativity because there are LOTS of pluses and positives about this job but you need to be aware of the negatives so you don't just pack it all in the first time you are surprised by the unkind actions of others.

There are some no-brainers and musts.....you MUST have a contract. A contract is THE number one administrative thing you need to have. The contract protects you and the families in care and lays everything out on the line with regard to expectations and policies.

The second most important thing to have in this business - and NEVER forget that daycare is a BUSINESS first and foremost - is a backbone. You better start on those calcium supplements now because you are really gonna need to fortify that spine of yours. Oh, yes, you are!

As for getting clients? It takes some time at first. Parents are gonna be a bit wary of the new provider and they want some sort of assurance you are gonna be in this business for a while.

Judy pretty much summed it up. My advice would be to steer clear away from family and friends as clients. Most of the time it does not work. It has ruined relationships at worst and at best has strained them.

...and it didn't take me long to grow a backbone in this business. When you are working for yourself, you have no choice but to treat it like a business. If you make it personal...you're done (or Hit by the Swing to use Judy's metaphor

btw...Judy's blog is very insightful and entertaining I might add I would refer to it nightly when I was a newbie. I was enriched reading this forum and finally getting a voice as you are pretty much isolated from your peers in this day to day business. My husband would stand on the opposite end of the room watching me read Judy's blog and all he would see is me nodding my head up and down in agreement. LOL.

Euphoric !
    Judy and Other Mummy gave the best advice. Just wanted to add...keep every single reciept and start putting money aside for your taxes as soon as you get started...depending on how much you make, you will likely have to pay something at the end of the year. It can take awhile to get started as people are a bit hesitant to go with a new provider, but once you get that first child, it will be easier and easier. Be patient...and this applies to everything...with the kids, with the parents, with yourself, with your own kids, with the whole process. It is patience trying in every way at times. Good luck!