Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Moving from Alberta to BC

Hi, I have been running my day home for 12 years now. 11 with an agency, and the last year privately. We are most likely moving to Williams Lake BC within the year. I know that the child care regulations are different in BC, and that you are only allowed to have two children in care without being licensed. Does any one know what the going rate is for full time, part time and hourly care is? Do the providers set the rates for their licensed homes or is that set but the licensor?

Trace of Angels
    Hi There,

I lived in BC for a couple of years and every home daycare that I ran into had a license there. It is the norm and very easy to get. And as far as I know you get licensed on square foot of your inside dedicated playspace and your outside dedicated playspace. So some providers are licensed for 4 and some for 8.........but don't quote me on that because I could be wrong.
    Licensing is guided under the health unit......I think.
    I worked in centre care and it was $700 a month for over 3 and $900 a month for under 3.
    Mostly everyone brings their own lunch and snack in BC. Even in some of the centre's.
    That seems to be mostly the norm over there too.

Good luck with your move

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trace of Angels For This Useful Post:

Hi there, good for you for wanting to start up in Williams lake. I live near Vancouver, and yes, all of bc has to follow regulations set out by the Local health authority. You can google or look up bc child care licensing regulations and it will have all the details, square footage per child, what type of care and ratio ratio. As for the price, you would have the check in that area, as everywhere is different, downtown Vancouver can range from 900-1500 (for younger children), and where I am, about 30 mins outside Vancouver it ranges from 600-1000. Down here you can talk to CCRR, which is child care resource and referral and they usually have am average price list for different types of care. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Outgoing
    We set our own rate, licensing really doesn't have anything to do with the business end of it , just the regulations that we have to follow.