Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fees

Starting to feel at home...

Fees

Good morning ladies!

I have a family with 2 children in my care. Oldest is starting kindergarten this September and youngest will remain full time. Anyhow, back when they first started, there was TONS of daycare spots in my town and not enough kids to fill all those spots, so finding families to fill spots could be difficult. I had great references, program, menu but charged what I had always charged and felt I deserved. This family said they couldn't afford $800/child but I had 4 spots to fill and hasn't had many interviews at all(plus when I did people frequently said 'so and so charges $400/month so we will go there unless you can match it). I ended up only charging $1200/month, my own fault I know. Now mom has said she expects a large decrease in monthly rates once oldest starts kindergarten. I let her know that I will be keeping rates the same as always because my rates for fulltine kids are $800/kid and b/a school are $400(kids here have Fridays off). I also will be picking said kid up from kindergarten and feeding them lunch and afternoon snack as well as breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks on Fridays. I don't feel this unfair, they've been given a big break this past couple years. I understand their want for decreased rate, but I wanted some feedback. I don't think she's angry enough to leave or anything, more irritated. Thoughts?

Your discount is not a discount for her. Only YOU see it as a discount. She sees it as her regular fees. This is why you NEVER give a discount on fees. It is NOT an incentive and it is not valued by the recipient of that discount.

I would stick with your fees and not allow her to pay less. If she doesn't want to pay she can find care elsewhere.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

So you told her the fees will remain the same. Stand your ground. She was very lucky to be paying the rate she was for so long, now it is time for a reality check. It is also unfair to your other clients to have a client receive a discount. Anytime I have been asked for a reduction, I cite the unfairness it would be to the other parents. That always stops the conversation.

For a year we had a special deal with our cable provider. The year just ended and we are at regular rates. It hurts, but that's the reality of a limited time offer, which you can say you gave her.

Euphoric !
    Totally agree with Judy ..... When this daycare mom paid her fees she never says to herself " boy I am getting a great deal I am so lucky " nope not once .....but every payday I'm sure you cringed thinking about how hard you worked for that little bit of money ..... Stick to your guns and don't drop your fees!!!!

apples and bananas
    I can see where she is coming from as well. It may have softened the blow if you had brought it up with new contracts before she brought it up.

At the end of the day, she's been managing the 1200 for this long, she should be able to continue to manage it.

And if you're area has changed, where there are more kids then spots to fill, then stick with it. You can replace her for the same or more with 2 full time children.

Maybe send her a detailed outline to make her feel better about the cost. If she's one of those people that only cares about cost, maybe best she moves on.