Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potty training

Starting to feel at home...

Potty training

Hello! I have a DCB who is 3.5 years old. He has always been too afraid to use the toilet here so has remained in pull ups. I was on holidays the last 2 weeks and started back today. mom says he has been doing great with the toilet the past 2 weeks, other than pooping. He will not poop on the toilet (he has never even told me when he has pooped). She has asked that I keep him in undies all day. What are your rules when dealing with potty training and poop? I'd rather them stay in pull ups until they can at least tell me that they pooped. Just looking to see what other dayhomes do.

Thank you!!!

Also...what do you do when it comes to clean up? with my daughter when she had poop accidents, if it wasn't super solid, I just threw the undies away.

I just had a conversation about this with a dcd who thought his daughter was ready for underwear yet fails to tell me when she needs to go and does not poop on the toilet.
    The child must be in pull ups all day. Period.
    If this dcb eventually does poop on the toilet and tells you when he has to go to the washroom THEN I would allow underwear after a certain period of time However, if he still naps, he will be in pull ups.
    Should he poop in his underwear, whatever I can get to fall into the toilet will be flushed and the rest goes home.

Euphoric !
    My rule is pullups and I keep them in diapers for the first part of training till they get the hang of it and then we use "diaper pants" because we are getting big and learn to pull them up and down - ie they are treated as underwear and you get one "accident" a day and then it is back into diapers. We do not go for months peeing in our pullups.

I would tell parents that with group care you can have no accidents as you do not have the means to clean him up - ie can't leave others to bathe him etc. There are cloth pullups too and that is what I now insist on if parent goes into any lengthy battle but it must be the kind that have snaps at the sides so I can change like a diaper rather than pull down if necessary - all poop goes home just like with regular cloth diapers, mom provides zippered bag - not plastic bag etc. Goal is to make it just as much cost and trouble for the parent as it is for me. And for some kids it is what they need to get away from the diapers while still giving protection to the daycare environment.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    He's not trained and ready for underwear if theres a chance he'll poop himself. And he hasn't earned the right to be in underwear yet. Underwear should be an exciting part of toilet training... like the best reward of all!

I would just let the clients know that he needs to be in pull ups for a little bit at daycare to make sure he's solid with all bathroom functions. That's just the way it is.

As far as poop accidents in the pants? I put a bag on my hand and pick up the soiled clothes, turn the bag inside out, tie it up and put it outside the front door. I don't clean poop. I don't have time, I hate the smell, I have too many kids to watch, it's not sanitary for me to be cleaning it.

Shy
    I personally feel pull ups are a waste of money. I am a mother of two and toilet trained my kids using diapers and when the diapers were dry after a few days being dry from being put on the toilet every half hour I put them in underwear. I have been running my business for 6 yrs and have trained over 7 kids the same way I did my own. As long as the parents are consistent and following the same routine then the kids can grasp the concept. Also I strongly suggest the parents take a weekend when the child is showing signs of being ready to place the child on the toilet every half hour or so and limit the intake of liquids at one time.

*update* DCB came this am and mom says that he is constipated. He refused to even sit on the toilet and ended up pooping his pants. Pee ran all over and even his socks were soaked. I put him in the tub, bagged up the clothes, hosed him down and put him back into pull ups. Told mom that he had to remain in pull ups until he can poop on the toilet. I'm willing to take the time to take him to the toilet numerous times a day, just not willing to bathe him daily. Especially since I have an 11 month old starting next week. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Euphoric !
    I would never bathe a daycare kid due to the liability..... I would have used wipes to clean him changed his clothes bagged up the soiled ones and called his mom to pick him up with the reasoning that he needed a bath.

I agree, as tempting as it may be to quickly hose them down, I wouldn't do it either. If I have to clean up that kind of mess I use the Costco blue mechanic gloves my husband has. They are lightweight and reduces some of the "yucky factor" when cleaning them up.

Euphoric !
    I would never bathe a child, I wipe them up with their own wipes even if it empties the box, call the parent right away and tell them they must pick up the child immediately. That is unsanitary for you and the other children when it's that bad.

Don't you have a rule in your contract? Mine states 30 days accident free AT DAYCARE before they can go without any covering, diapers or pullups. I'm not cleaning up messes like that on a regular basis.

As far as I'm concerned they are trained when they know they have to go to the potty and tell you or run there themselves. When they are placed on the potty and pee they are PRACTICING, but they are NOT TRAINED.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: