Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cost of Daycare

Euphoric !
    I too wonder why daycare fees aren't raised more often. However, if it is too much than for some families it wouldn't make sense to work because they would just be giving their paycheque to their dcp. I also feel that if hdc's charge too much more parents will just go to centre daycares or be put on the lists and then leave hdc's when a centre has an open spot.

I don't understand why some ppl(no one in particular btw) expect one parent to pay their entire hourly wage though. For me, I am allowed 4 children and I charge $30 a day and am open for 9.5 hours. (usually only work 8-9 though, yay!!) That means I make $12.63 an hour. Here minimum wage is being raised to $10.45 so my wage is not terrible......defini tely could be better but if parents are only making minimum wage themselves it's hard to expect them to pay a huge dc bill.

Euphoric !
    Don't forget that part of that $30 a day is not income. Your income is based on the amount left after you deduct your daycare costs for food, crafts, supplies, toys, upkeep of daycare space, etc. But yes when we actually do look at the numbers our income really isn't bad at all because on top of what we make those with their own kids have to factor in the fact they get free childcare so if they went out to work they would have to pay that fee and take home the rest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes, sorry playfelt I forgot to mention that the $12.63 is not an accurate hourly wage after you deduct your costs. However, I buy almost all my toys second-hand or have them given to me, I use coupons for groceries and only buy whats on sale(this also helps to have variety in my meals) and I buy art supplies in bulk or at the dollar stores. I also shop in the states a fair bit which saves me money. We also get to write a good chunck of stuff off that we wouldn't be able too if I didn't have a hdc. There are definitely pros and cons to me having a hdc instead of an outside job but I actually make more money now than I did when I worked in a centre daycare even after deducting costs.

Outgoing
    If I gave myself Easter Monday and Christmas Eve day....parents wouldn't pay for it....it's not a stat holiday....so the "raise" would be where?????

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    If I gave myself Easter Monday and Christmas Eve day....parents wouldn't pay for it....it's not a stat holiday....so the "raise" would be where?????
    I added Easter Monday and Christmas Eve as paid days last year and no one complained. Remember it is your business, if it is in your contract and parents don`t like it, then they don`t have to sign on. I also have 5 paid personal days in my contract.

Euphoric !
    While it is true you can put anything you want in your contract if you are in an area where there is stiff competition for children it will be something parents use as a negative when comparing daycares. For that reason providers in some areas do have to forego some of the perks that providers in other areas can enjoy.

Outgoing
    I'm full but I don't know if I would be if I closed and charged for stats or personal days. I, however do charge my full-timers for stats since they get a better rate than the part-timers.

Starting to feel at home...
    I think we should increase our rates to keep up with inflation and our increasing wisdom and experience as child care providers! Good discussion!