Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Daycare

Trace of Angels

Cost of Daycare

Hi All,

So I have been doing daycare for a bit now. When I speak to other providers in the area and Daycare friends that I have, I don't understand this one thing that seems to be the norm.........rates. Why does no one ever increase their rates???
    One friend hasn't increased in 6 years, another in 9 years and yet another in 10 years...........not one of them.

Yet everyone else on the planet gets a raise, heck my husband is making a whopping 55% more than he was just 9 years ago.......I mean YEAH me, but am I expected to never get a raise............and why do I feel so bad about even asking for one. In every other job I have had I have received a raise almost every year........inflatio n happens, cost of housing has gone up, cost of gas, cost of groceries but I may have to stay at this salary for NINE YEARS???????

What is it about daycare that no one wants to raise their rates? Why are there so many home daycares charging less to attract clients?

Do you raise your rates? How much, how often?

Sometimes I wish we had a UNION............... .
    Last edited by Trace of Angels; 08-23-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Euphoric !
    Unfortunately daycare goes by supply and demand and as long as we are competing with others for parents then we have to do what attracts them and well money talks for sure.

Having said that I raise my rates when new families start care provided I am still in line with others in my area and to a certain extent we all seem to do the same thing. I start kids as babies and keep them till school so 2 -3 years. I keep rates for families in care the same but start new families at a new rate. They then stay at that rate as long as they are with me but new ones after them would pay more. Often it is only a dollar a day more I raise the rates but $5 a week does pretty much cover expenses because so much of my stuff is repeated or reused from year to year - toys/equipment/etc.

Shy
    If you don't mind me asking,What is your daily rate currently?

Trace of Angels
    I am $42.00/day in Ottawa ON. I've seen as low as $35 and as high as $70 at some centres

Euphoric !
    If you look at the CCPRN rates survey you can clearly see that the rates vary across the city and to some extent reflect socio-economic status, proximity to specific landmarks, number of daycare homes in the area etc.

I am $40 a day here in Orleans but yes around me it ranges from $35 - $42. I keep a watch on daycarebear to see what the norms are for those closest to me and use that to some extent as a guideline. In reality parents are not impressed enough with fancy programs to pay more for it. For babies and toddlers they are quite content with a cheaper price and more freeplay.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    One year I didn't raise my rates but I added days off, Easter Monday & Christmas Eve Day. I figured I was giving myself a raise without raising the rates. Last year I went up $2/day for full time and $5/day for part-time because I felt it was time to pull myself in line with the competition once I had established myself with a good reputation. This year I'm not increasing rates but I will most likely raise them $1/day next year.

I think you have to be careful to look at the type of people you attract, doctors and lawyers or office and blue collar workers and think about their incomes. My clients are the downtown office workers and they don't make a fortune. I know. I used to be one of them.

As Playfelt said, my crafting supplies expenses were higher a few years ago than they were last year because I have a buildup in my craft drawers and you streamline with each passing year in so many ways to save money and time.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Daycare is expensive already, so that could be a reason why those providers don't increase their rates. It's also competitive, so providers would want to makes sure that they're in line with what others are charging.

"One friend hasn't increased in 6 years, another in 9 years and yet another in 10 years...........not one of them." This seems to bother you. If they're content with what they're charging, why do you care?

"Yet everyone else on the planet gets a raise, heck my husband is making a whopping 55% more than he was just 9 years ago.......I mean YEAH me, but am I expected to never get a raise............and why do I feel so bad about even asking for one. In every other job I have had I have received a raise almost every year........inflatio n happens, cost of housing has gone up, cost of gas, cost of groceries but I may have to stay at this salary for NINE YEARS???????" So if you feel you should be charging more, then charge more. Why are you complaining and whining about it. It's YOUR business, charge whatever the hell you want. When parents choose other providers over you, don't complain either.

"Sometimes I wish we had a UNION." Then go get a unionized job. You're self-employed, therefore you set your own rates. Obviously ppl in the workforce working for companies will get raises, you own your own business, nobody is going to just pay you more, use your discretion and charge accordingly.

Euphoric !
    Now now, Island29, if you are not a home daycare provider then you don't understand exactly how we feel. When I worked outside the home I got a raise every single year. That's the way it is for most people. However, as self-employed business owners, we home daycare providers must remain competitive but fair to stay in business.

You may find daycare is expensive but I love something that one of my daycare Dads said to me a few months ago when he was laid off work for a few months. He told me not to worry about them ever taking their daughter out of my daycare because when they budget they put their rent, food and daycare expenses at the top of the plan since those are their most important priorities.

I'm so glad that they appreciate me enough to put me at the top of their list as one of their basic priorities, not as an annoying expense! They know that I give their child great care, nourishment, health and safety, learning opportunities and many more things, the list is endless.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Trace of Angels
    Oh Island 29......I really am just a newer provider wondering why the rates in general don't increase as a whole :-) I am happy with my choice of what I charge. I had a high paying job with an increase every year.
    I left that job and choose to be happy doing what I like doing. I tried centre care and that was just over minimum wage and I felt that I could provide a better environment in my own daycare making the same money with less children in care, offering more individual attention. I am well set up and hoped to do this for a long time. I have invested so much into my daycare and am very proud and content with it and the children that spend their days with me!

I truly love doing what I do. I am not whining I am just saying as a whole in so many years it seems that salaries go up and the entire cost of living goes up but we remain the same.

Of course if all I cared about was money I would go back to my previous career and make a lot more of it but to me, it is about happiness. But I wonder where I would be in 10 years if the cost of living keeps going up substantially and I can't raise rates in order to stay in line with area providers.

Not every post and question on this site is about whining and complaining Island29. And I was wondering if that same thought ever crossed other providers minds. Just making conversation I guess and putting my thoughts and feelings out there. And am I the only person in the world that wishes she made just a little bit more money..............m y guess would be probably not!

I guess that is why in todays age of technology written words tend to get taken out of context so much.

I hope you have a better day tomorrow :-)
    Take Care
    Last edited by Trace of Angels; 08-24-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Trace of Angels
    And I think with that I will keep my thoughts and feelings safe and to myself in the future.