Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Giving Notice of Closure to My Last Family

I'm having a terrible time letting my last family know about my decision to close. They are GOLDEN clients and their child is wonderful. They had a not so good experience with their previous provider and have continually expressed how happy they and dcb are with my care. They know Ill be taking 2 weeks off very soon (baby due any day now) but I'm not reopening once baby arrives. My decision to close is to spend more time my own children for a year and then go back to work part time.

When this family signed on with me in May it was my plan to have my assistant at the time take over and run the daycare for me, however she has since bailed on me and I've been left running the show entirely on my own.

I have downsized significantly from 5 to 2 dc children, and during the time when I was downsizing this family expressed that they would've cried if they had been affected by the downsize and that dcb would miss me tremendously! I advised them of my plan to hire a new assistant down the road and hopefully go back up to capacity, but now that I've decided to shut down indefinitely I'm feeling soooo much guilt.

I'm trying sooooo hard to remind myself that this is just a business, it's totally my decision to shut down, and that I should be thinking of my own family, but for some reason I've lost my backbone. What should I say to this family ? And when?

Euphoric !
    As hard as it is the sooner the better would be the best time to let the family know so there is some time for you both to grieve so to speak and get used to the idea of the changes.

If this is the last client, do you know someone else that does daycare that has a space that you would trust if you were the parent looking for care and could recommend? That might make it easier on both of you.

You really should have given them a month's notice to be fair since you know they are going to have a hard time finding someone else.

Another thing to consider is how does this child fit in age wise with your own kids? I found having the daycare kids was a great diversion for my own kids and the bit of extra money helped to offset the pizza ordered instead of cooking. That would allow you to give them notice for say Thanksgiving or later.

Another option is to find them a friend with a space and say this person will take them while you are on break due to the fact you don't have an assistant now and then after a month just let them know you won't be reopening. Hopefully they just stay where they are but at least they will have care till they make new permanent arrangements.

In the grand scheme of things it isn't our responsibility to find them care. Just note what your contract says about notice as you are likely cutting it pretty close for closing on them ie minimum two weeks notice and we usually give our best clients a sooner heads up.

Hugs. You obviously have a big heart and, yes it is a business, but for the most part we chose this business because we care about the kids. I too find it hard to draw that hard line between what I should do and what I want to do. For what it's worth I think that you're making the right choice for your family! You need to tell them right way though. I'd just explain pretty much what you said in your post that as much as you care and value them, this is something that you feel you need to do. You didn't know back in May that your assistant would bail and that things would change. They love their kids and should respect that, for you, your family need to come first. Best wishes!

I had such a hard time when I told all the families that I was closing, they were all incredible families but I had to remind myself that anyone of them could up and leave at any time for any reason and not give me much more thought! I am not everyone's saving grace and there are lots of other providers out there.just be completely honest with them and give as much notice as possible (I gave a month)