Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Do you accept children who has a sick sibling?

I'm wondering if you would take one child if the other sibling is sick with a fever? I got a call this morning saying "I'm sure it is only teething" (oh, that makes it a safe fever?). Rules clearly state no fever for 24hrs as signed in the contract. I got such a guilt trip over it. I'm glad I kept my foot down for not having the sick child and ended up not having the other one, but I wasn't sure how to say I didn't feel comfortable having the "healthy one" here too (considering I did have one dkb who diarrhea/fever over the weekend). It's one of those situations where the kids are great, but I'm managing the parents with kitten gloves... (and sorry for the sarcasm- I needed to vent a little...)

Euphoric !
    my policy book states "Attention parents of siblings, if one child is too sick to attend daycare then you must keep the other child at home too" What is the parent going to do drag the sick child out so the sibling can attend daycare? the parent is home already with one so might as well keep them both. Also if its contagious then the other child will likely get it not always but the chances are greater. its also hard on the healthy child knowing the parent is at home. its just easier to keep them both at home.

Outgoing
    acually I do, usually the siblings I have never seem to get sick from one another lol!

Euphoric !
    I usually do take the sibling and it usually comes back to bite the parent in the butt because child takes longer to get sick and parent is off 3 days with first and then 2 with second instead of letting them get it right away and off only 3-4 days.

I also don't find a lot of illness moves from sibling to sibling but at the same time I take my own precautions at daycare and for those two days I am on top of the sibling about stuff in the mouth, hand washing etc. I don't sweat the cleaning because I can't know for sure that it isn't one of the other kids that is actually closer to getting sick than the so far well sibling so an exercise in futility.