Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Wading pool mothers

So I brought my group to the wading pool for the last week day of the summer that they are open. We have only gone a couple of times this summer and we only go on Fridays because I have a small group that day. We also only go if there are fewer then 5 other kids there.

My kids were super excited and listening really well at first. My daughter didn't come out of the wading pool at one point when asked so she went on a time out. When we took a water break, the two 3.5 yr olds ran back into the wading pool without permission and didn't come out when I called them so the wading pool was over for the day. I felt like I was being vigilant and careful with my kids (yes, there are 2 lifeguards so they technically would have been fine in the pool while I dressed the little ones but I have this as a rule so I can properly watch them). I just felt like I was under a microscope and I had one mother in particular that kept watching my group and I don't think she liked my style of discipline (I raised my voice when they went in the pool). I think I am actually fairly laid back normally but I am on "hyper alert" at the wading pool for obvious reasons. I guess it just bothered me and I needed to vent.

Shy
    Vent away! It is tough being under the microscope in public spaces - especially around water. I think having all the kids staying together and following your instruction is super important and it sometimes requires a raised voice - do not even worry about that for a single second!
    I just ignore the mother's who stare...and I tell myself they are staring in awe of how awesome I am at managing so many kids! :P

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daisy For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Good for you! I wish everyone was as vigilant! Better safe than sorry. Personally splash pads are as "watery" as I am comfortable with but it sounds like you are very careful. I think that raising your voice was a protective instinct. It's easy for that mother to criticize (if that was what she was doing) but try looking after a whole group of other people's children and perspectives change!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy123 For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I think you did everything right.

I know I feel even more concerned about who's watching and who's paying attention to my kiddies and I when we're out because of the way people are feeling about home "unlicensed" daycares right now. It's not fair to us and lets hope it blows over.

We went to the park the other day. I had 2 little ones strapped in my choo choo wagon. 1 b/a kid that's practically 10, my 2 kids, both school aged and my 2 step kids, both school aged. Even counting my step kids I was still within my legal limits and I even brought their dad with me so I was definatly in my legal limits. 7 kids to 2 adults. Only 3 daycare kids. But I still felt like I had to be extra careful, I had to be aware of who was around, who was watching and who was listening.

It's really the main reason why I don't bother venturing to the park anymore.

Outgoing
    good for you. Nothing irks me more than those parents who sit on their phones the whole time and not only do I have to watch my group I have to watch their children too.

I stopped bringing my group to our splash pad because the daycamp would come and these kids were older (5 and up)and no one was supervising them, they were always pushy and wetting the littles even thou the littles didn't want to be wet. Total chaos.