Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Should I require a child's immunization record prior to admission?

Do you find some parents balking at handing out this record? How do you handle this?

Euphoric !
    Do you need it? I don't require immunization records. Some of my kids haven't been immunized, as is the case with lots of families. This choice is growing in popularity, though it's not a choice I would have considered for my own children.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't ask for the records to be on my file but I do ask parents to keep me in the loop so I can watch children that have had immunizations recently for adverse effects.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don't require it as mandatory but do ask if they have had it!

Outgoing
    I don't ask either, as most of my parents don't get their children immunized. I have been wondering, however, if the other parents would want to know if some children haven't been. I don't say anything because of privacy issues, but am second guessing myself. Is there any reason the parent of an immunized child would object to having children in the daycare who haven't been immunized?

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't ask either but it is a concern. I would think that the main danger would be to the child not vaccinated but of course immunizations themselves aren't guaranteed and the unimmunized child could put others at risk. But, I would feel very uncomfortble discussing children's medical histories with other parents. There's something called herd immunization that states that the more people that are immunized, the better protected the unvaccinated are. As the rates of unvaccinated children increase, the potential of the (herd immunity) effect decreases. http://www.marinij.com/marinnews/ci_12125899 I wonder if this works only in large groups or if it works on a micro scale too as in a daycare. It's a sticky issue for sure though in respecting everyone's beliefs. I also wonder why parents wouldn't want to share a copy of their child's record though if you want it. Schools and centres do. If you feel that it's important to the children's safety, or even just your peace of mind, why not. Maybe find a pamphlet about immunization schedules and leave it on a parent board as a "hint" or add medical confidentiality clause into your contract as a reassurance.

I ask for it and I'll tell you why. It doesn't matter what's on it, whether they are immunized or not is irrelevant to me personally, but if I have a copy and the paramedics have to come out to that child, they are going to ask if his immunizations are up to date. I want to have as much medical information as possible to give to the medics and this is something they will ask for. It doesn't go any further than that and if you explain it like this to the parents then they will no doubt be on board. Whether they are immunized or not plays no part in their acceptance into my daycare it's simply for emergency purposes only.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 09-10-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Typo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    From an injury standpoint it is only the tetanus that would be an issue and that is done as a baby before they ever get to us for the most part. Is there another one we should be concerned about whether they have or not?

I am not entirely sure, I suppose I just don't see any harm in having all the information to hand if needed by a medic. It's not necessarily that we need to know the why of it, more just to have all the information in the event that someone else with the background in healthcare needs it, such as a paramedic or ER doctor.