Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Can I set the policies I feel are best?

I run my own daycare in Ontario. I do not work with an agency. As I understand it I can legally have up to 5 children in my care excluding children of my own. It is also my understanding that I set the policies since I am a private business-re: age group, fees, vaccination requirement (or not), hours, holidays etc.

I have run into parents who seem to think that I am not allowed to set my own policies especially around more difficult issues such as vaccination and enrolment forms requirement etc. But I am a private business and I run it from my home! Shouldn't I then be the one to set policies that I am comfortable with legally and otherwise?

posting anonymously for one of our wonderful users

Um, do these same dcparents you speak of go to their dentist and tell their dentist how they will run their business? Do they go to their hairdresser and tell them how to run their business? Do they go to Walmart and tell them how to run their business?

NO!

What makes YOUR business any different?? It's quite simple - daycare is a SERVICE. And, just like any service if you don't like the terms then you move on to the NEXT service you do agree with.

Good Lord......these parents are smoking crack, if you ask me. I would NEVER even consider a parent who was so condescending toward me and my business. HUGE RED FLAGS.

They officially get a .................... ...NEXT!

So, the short answer is...YES, YOU get to set your policies and rules.

YOUR BUSINESS - YOUR RULES!

End of story.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Ditto to everything Judy said!
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Outgoing
    Yup, ditto again. I have only been doing this a short time but still know that it's my business, my policies, my rules. If I wanted it any other way then I would just return to the corporate world where someone was always telling me what to do.

Euphoric !
    I, too, would PASS on any parents who are going to call into question your policies. A question out of curiosity is one thing, but to tell you that you can't put your own guidelines into place....????
    These will be the same parents who ask you to change your menu, hours and rates to suit their personal preferences. No thank you.
    I think you need to ensure that what you practice in the way of policy makes sense for you, your business and your family. You want to make sure that it is reasonable in regards to the "norm" for your area, but even at that it is YOUR business. If a prospective parent takes issue.... they can find another provider.