Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

1 baby hurting another.

Hi ladies. It's been a while since I've been here! I found I get more done with my computer off!
    However, I'm in need of help! I have a 17 month old who has been here for a while now. She's always been no problem at all. I could see that she had a mischievious side, but nothing more. Now I have a new girl who's 14 months old. My 17 month old is always after her. She likes to "hug" her. I'm hoping that her intentions aren't bad, and that's what she means to do, but I'm not sure. These hugs are her coming up from behind, wrapping her arm around her neck, squeezing and not letting go. Doesn't matter what I say, and at 10 mos they understand NO at the very least. I have to peel her arm off. I can't turn my back for 2 seconds right now. I tell her no, tell her it hurts. No touching. Hands to self. I remove her from the situation. I cater to the victim, which I'd learned in ECE classes. But so far nothing is changing. I'm pretty sure she knows not to. Today I went to get my water, and when I came back she was heading for the other baby with her arms out, but saw me and stopped right away. But then later I went a few feet away to wipe a bum and when I came back she had the other in full head lock.
    Anyone ever experienced this before? Any tips or advice. In all my years I've never had one baby go after another like this. I'm exhausted after this morning.

Outgoing
    Keep a playpen handy. I give 3 strikes you are out! I agree, they know what NO means. Also, they know that NO with a big smile can get them a free pass. So, I have stopped using no I use "STOP" and will clap. I do the same thing as you with the catering to hurt baby, etc.
    After the 3rd strike put the offender in the playpen right outside the playroom. After a 2 minute or longer break bring them back in. If it continues put the offender away for longer in another room.
    I find I always have some kind of hitting or agressive behaviour when a newbie starts.
    Good luck!

Outgoing
    I agree with using the playpen if you can't keep your full attention on her. Put her in there everytime you need to turn your back etc. Soon she will understand that being in there is no fun.

Outgoing
    yeah. Thanks. I was kind of thinking I should use it, too.

Expansive...
    I use straight up time outs from 17 months on. Playpen sounds easier though. Never thought of that. Lol Kid jail

Expansive...
    I agree with the playpen when you need to leave the room and shadowing when you're in it. My son went through a TERRIBLE biting phase when he was 17 months and just literally needing to be there every moment to redirect or address the behavior with a "angry face" and a firm no when it happened.