Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

How do you hold a spot?

I have a daycare Mom who is on Matt leave and she wants to send her little one in April. I have a spot open that I'm looking to fill as I can't afford to hold a spot that long? How would I do that?

Starting to feel at home...
    One time, I charged a family $140.00 per month x 3 months. They paid the fees they were with me for two weeks, turns out they couldn't afford child care and they were with me until she got a night shift. I changed my policy to $190.00 bi-weekly. I would'nt hold a spot. It will be even harder to find a temporary family until they start.

Expansive...
    It depends on how financially dependent you are filling that spot. A couple years ago I was interested in filling an immediate open spot in May, however an interested family wouldn't need it until September. Financially, I didn't absolutely need to fill it to make things work, so I charged them a holding fee of $100 per month (they dropped it off every month), and it was non-refundable, and does not go towards their fees when they start. This way, the spot is guaranteed to them but if they bail you're not completely out of $. Do up a "holding spot" contract that details the holding fee is no-refundable should they look elsewhere.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would never hold a space more than about 4 months ie the chances of someone else contacting you for this space between now and January are a possibility. I usually encourage parents to wait till they know more about their child's temperament as well as their return to work plans given that there are plenty of daycare spaces in my area but it also means I am not committing that far in advance. I ask them to keep in touch monthly and if the space is still available in January they will be the first family called for an interview. Too much happens in over 6 months to commit on either side.

Euphoric !
    I do similar to Lou....If I have no other interest and I want to hold it then I charge $250 per month payable on the 1st of every month (EMT or cash....I don't accept cheques) It is non refundable and goes to nothing other then guaranteeing they have a spot. I also take a two week deposit that goes towards the last two weeks of "already commenced care".

Outgoing
    I held a spot recently for a mom coming off mat leave and I don't recommend it. In the future I won't even discuss it with a parent on leave for longer that 2 months. I now have a "waiting list" and I tell parents that if another spot opens up (reasonably close to their start date) I will contact them.
    It's much easier to fill the spot now and be guaranteed the income, than to a) be losing money to hold her spot, or b) have the parent pay what you want to hold the spot and then feel obligated to continue working with a difficult family because you feel like you owe them.

I made the mistake in interviewing this family when I shouldn't have, because I really like them, that was the main reason for holding their spot, so for the future I won't even interview. Too hard to tell someone no at that point, for me anyway!