Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Need information regarding discounts for day care centers..

Hi,

I am not a Canadian citizen. I am planning to come to Canada for education but i have a one year old son. I am very much worried how will i take care of my son when i will be doing my studies. I heard there are full time day care facilities in Canada which is for 5 days (8 hours daily). I have many queries. I tried to search on internet for the queries but not able to find the appropriate answers. I hope parents using this website will help me in clearing my doubts

1: I read some where on internet average monthly cost for day care varies from city to city from say $300 to $800. It is a big amount for a student to pay. As i will be in Canada as a student so does there is any kind of discount which i can avail like student discount or any government discount?

2: I read there is a long wait-list to get admission in day cares. If it is true then what prior actions i can take before coming to Canada.

3: Can anybody provide me a good link in which i can see that what are the daily activities of a day care center for example learning activities, fooding etc.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

You can go to the main page of this website and click HOME. There, in your search of daycare you can enter the postal code of the university/college you are enrolling to. It will show you daycare ads with prices and list of activities close to where you will be. If you will be in Toronto or around GTA daycare prices go from $600 to $1,400 for home daycare, depending on the area.

I don't think any daycare in Canada will be charging $300/month (or $15/day) for full time care.

I don't know if there is help with childcare costs for non-residents. Maybe someone else from here can help you with that.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 09-11-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Shy
    Depending on your school they may offer daycare facilities to you- if cost is an issue (and I understand it can be) this may be your best option. There may be subsidies are grants available but you would need to do your research on that one, as I'm not sure.

Wait lists usually apply to licensed daycare facilities, but if you know the postal code to the city you will be living in you can look up what private homes are offering daycare and make a decision based on that- usually if they are being advertised here it means they have a spot to fill. As artsand crafts said, 300 seems -really- low, I would be quite surprised if you found anything less then 500 a month, but I guess it depends where you live. Here in ottawa typical monthly costs are 800-1000 per month.

Most daycare centers or homes will post examples of their typical schedules and menus.

Euphoric !
    The university you are going to be attending would be the best place to start. Contact them to ask about daycare on campus for students or if they have any subsidy available. They will be able to tell you about daycare in the area you will be living.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as a person who originally came over to Canada in the last few years on a permit with the intention of doing my Nursing degree I am pretty much certain that you will not qualify for any kind of aid or subsidy. The reason being is that you will be a foreign student and all financial aid will be only made available to Permanent Residents. It is not necessairy to be a citizen but it is required that you have landed status. I would strongly recommend you look into whether this is the best move for you financially as generally university fees for foreign students starts at just under $12,000 per year and diploma courses at college are not much less, if at all. I would for sure enquire with the International Student Services department at the school you plan on attending but I think they will probably tell you the same as I have that all services are for resident students only. Fingers crossed there is something otherwise maybe consider holding of on your studies in Canada until your son is old enough to attend JK which is the year he will turn 4. If you have a study permit then it will automatically give him entitlement to education which will mean you would likely only need before and after school care which is often, at least in my area, offered in the school for about $7 -$12 a day. Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

I too would strongly consider whether this is a good time for you to come to Canada. I live in Toronto and I'm considered "high income" (which is not much, trust me) and I don't get any financial help or special privileges. The only daycare I was realistically able to get my son into at 15 months was $2,000 a month. I'm on several waiting lists for something less expensive but I haven't been called yet. Unless you know someone, it is VERY hard to find daycare at an affordable price. Our daycare "system" (there isn't one) here is a disaster. Anyone who isn't entitled to financial help struggles terribly to be able to afford it.

Outgoing
    Having come to Canada myself 13 years ago, as a Permanent Resident, and now as a Citizen, I can confirm what "Bright Sparks" said. There is no financial assistance for those studying here under a student visa. Only a Permanent Resident or Citizen would be entitled to apply but that said, with the immigration requirements for PR'cy you have to either have a job or prove you have the financial backing to support yourself for a considerable time, before that PR status is approved.

I live on the East Coast where the cost of living is supposedly much less expensive than other Provinces (a pure rumour) and therefore the salaries are less and the day care fees are cheaper. But even here, a FT day care place will cost you between $32-$45 per day depending on how close you live to the city. That works out to about $700 a month.

If you did wait until your child could begin school here, you would have a lower cost. Before and after school care is between $15 and $20 depending on the hours and if you need care at both the start and end of the day. You would have to pay full rate for the days the schools are closed if the carer offered all day care for those situations.

Essentially, if you are coming here as a student, with a dependant child, you'll have to ensure your grants, cover all of your living costs and your dependant child's costs because there's no financial help available to foreign nationals for these incidentals.

Remove you add!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Hi guys! How do you think? Are resume writing services worth the money? Quite by chance I found an excellent resume writing service. All done exactly on time and very high quality. As well as excellent support, you can ask as many questions as you like.