Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Potty training my own child

So I have a policy, like I know many of you do, that the daycare child must have atleast two weeks of success at home before I start working with them at potty training in my daycare. But how did you work potty training your own child? With my first daughter I let her have lots of bare bum time and was able to give her lots of attention to get her potty trained. But with a house full of kids, I know it will have to be a lot different when I potty train my second daughter (which I plan to do in a few months). I plan to start around 18 months old as she is very verbal already, just like my older daughter - who was totally potty trained by the time she was two.

So what advice do you have?

Expansive...
    I will also add that I have 1 four year old (my own) and 2 three year olds that are totally independent in the bathroom and a 14 month old dcg and my other daughter that is 16 months old right now.

I did what you do with your first child when I potty trained my son, but I took a week off from daycare to do so. He got it very fast. That was at the en of May this year and he is now fully potty trained, day and night. I still have to help him with the bum wiping, though, but he is still 2 yo and has lots of time to learn

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Thanks for the reply Arts and Crafts. I won't be able to take time off this year to do it, the only holidays I'm taking we are going to Cuba (woo hoo!) to celebrate our 5 year wedding anniversary! Way more fun than potty training! LOL

I was thinking I would get more comments about this topic, but oh well. I guess I'll just have to figure it out on my own.

Outgoing
    I pottied trained my son while running my daycare. I started because he was refusing to wear his diaper, he was 23 months. I was going to do it sooner, but it was Christmas. Anyways, I just put him in underwear and let him go at it. I have no carpet upstairs, so we just spent a lot of time up there with the daycare. He also rarely plays with the other children and plays with his older sister, so he wasn't really around them. It was a pain to clean up his accidents when he had them, but he usually had them at meals times, so the other children weren't affected.
    I guess I'm no help. It really didn't take him a long time to get it (about a week) and then he went through a lazy spell, but again, he never went in the area the kids were in and it was a quick clean up for me.
    With that being said, I wouldn't let a dck train this way, but he's mine, so I didn't mind.

Euphoric !
    I was wondering about this as well as my 20 mos old wants to train herself but I am so not into it right now because I have the same concerns/questions you do.

Euphoric !
    Think about what you expect the parents to do and maybe start there. To get to the two weeks of training at home they will be putting child in underwear potentially or at least taking them to the potty regularly in the evenings and on weekends - ie when you don't have other daycare children there. When you catch a few and child seems to be aware of what is happening then start putting him on the potty at regular times during the day and just proceed.