Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Youngest you'll allow out of your constant supervision

Just a spin-off from another thread.

What is the youngest age you will allow out of your direct supervision? Obviously you are always keeping an eye (or should be) but at what age will you let kids either be downstairs while you're upstairs (if you have a set up like this) or outside while you're inside?

Outgoing
    I have an (almost 3 yr old) and an (almost 4 yr old). I will let them play in the sandbox outside in our small fenced in yard. The sandbox is literally 4-5 feet from my back door, and i keep the screen open so i can hear them chatting. I think this is perfectly fine. It also depends on the child(ren) and their behaviour. If they are they type to get into things without supervision, then this would not be okay.

Starting to feel at home...
    My DCK are all babies and always supervised. I do let my own children play in the backyard, basement or their bedrooms without direct supervision. They are 3, 6 and 7 years old. I think that I will probably reevaluate when I get to that situation, but can only imagine letting 3+ play in the backyard while I'm in the kitchen for a few minutes. There is a big window and a sliding door...full visibility. Otherwise, DCK are always supervised. ,
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Outgoing
    I never allow my daycare kids to be without me unless I have to do a quick pee run. My day home is from 12 months - 5 years. My own kids...I'd let them play in the back yard without me at about 2.5 - 3 years.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    Getting to know the kids is the most important criteria and age after that. I have seen very young children that are more trustworthy than older kids. As far as outside goes in a fenced yard a child over age 3 should be ok provided I am able to watch them from in the house more or less continuously such as playing in the sandbox while I make lunch. For inside it is more about skill. A child that has proved they can safely climb onto the sofa and get down and always sits when they are on it can be trusted for a few minutes while I am in the next room/bathroom. If not they go into a playpen or come with me.

Euphoric !
    I think I agree that it depends on the child. I have heard that the standard guideline is under 19 months must be in your sight at all times. That said, I have a 20 month old in my care that takes less than a minute to get into some precarious situations.
    Our yard is set up such that I allow my own daughter outside, but only with the older kids, and have since she was 3. But for d/c kids, they must be school age to play outside without me there.

Outgoing
    Yes, I guess it depends on age here too. I let my 2 1/2 yr old and an almost 3 yr old dck and an almost 4 yr old dck play downstairs by themselves. I am in a bi-level and the play room is right at the bottom of the stairs and the kitchen right at the top with an open entrance. I can hear everything they are doing and there isn't anything they can get into that they shouldn't. I have started letting my almost 20 mth old dck stay down there for short periods of time without me too but I have another 18 mth old that I would never leave out of my sight. The two younger ones are just two totally different maturity levels.
    As far as outside goes, I don't have a back door, just a side one, so I don't like to let any of them out by themselves. If the younger ones are napping and I'm out with the older ones, I might run in the house for a minute and totally trust them outside. I wouldn't do that with the younger group.

Starting to feel at home...
    For me, I only let my own children (ages 8 and 5) outside on their own. My daycare kids are all under the age of 3 and are usually always supervised (except for bathroom breaks). When I'm in the kitchen preparing something, my ones and twos come in the kitchen with me. I keep a toybox in there for just that purpose. Sometimes the sole three year old will remain in the playroom which is right next to my kitchen.