Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Naptime

Starting to feel at home...

Naptime

I have a new dcb who started 3 weeks ago. He just turned 12 months and is a terrible napper. His naps are all over the place. Sometimes lasting 15min, other times up to 3 hours. More often than not he naps about 30 min. I'm pretty sure his naps with mom and dad were whenever he fell asleep he napped. IE: car rides, etc. I even spoke with his gma (they are our family friends) And she said when she watches him she is lucky to get a half hour and that is only if she takes him for a walk in the stroller. So...my question is, how long should I let him cry it out? I want him to know that quiet time is 2 hours and he is to stay in his room. I am just having a hard time letting him get up, just to be noisy while playing and wake everyone up. Has anyone one else dealt with a non napping baby?

Outgoing
    I have a 2 yo dcb who started here when he was 12 months old. He would sleep for about a half an hour and I found that if I put his soother back in his mouth, he would sleep for another hour. So I spent many afternoons running with an extra soother to his playpen so he wouldn't wake any of the other nappers up.lol Now he sleeps right through.

Starting to feel at home...
    my dcb doesn't use a soother, wish that was an option. lol

Euphoric !
    Put fans in strategic places (hallways, outside bedroom doors ) to block the noise when he does wake up and leave him there for the entire naptime... Soon he will learn to just go back to sleep...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have a TERRIBLE napper!!! He's 18 mos and doesn't even do the 30 mins I was getting for a while. Our nap time is 2.5-3hrs. I leave him. He lays there and talks to himself, yells out trying to wake the other little guy down there. I put on the dehumidifier as a 'noise barrier'. I will never, ever bring him up from nap early....unless body parts start dropping off or something equally urgent. Booger.

I miss nap time

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I was on the verge of posting about my terrible napper too! He's 13mos, been here since July and is a horrible sleeper! Only sleeps 30-40min at a time. Not a soother user.

Crying it out has been so frustrating. He cries so hard he vomits and he's done this several times now He did this today and after I cleaned him up and moved him to another packnplay, he cried and cried for a whole hour and NEVER did go back to sleep! Honestly how can a kid who is so tired be so damned stubborn?

Outgoing
    So frustrating!
    I would put kiddo in the quietest room furthest away in the house, buy a white noise machine, room darkening blinds/curtains and let him go for the entire nap time.
    I have one dcg who has started waking after 25 mins and lays there and screams. No tears, no standing up or jumping around in her playpen just lays there and screams. I have a white noise machine in her room (which is in the furthest bedroom of the house) and another white noise machine outside the bedroom door. I make her stay in there the entire nap time. I have the baby monitor on so I know that she is fine.
    Its very important we get our breaks each day and listening to a child scream can be very grating on our nerves. This little guy will get it. May take a few weeks but he will figure it out and self soothe back to sleep.
    Oh and regards to vomiting, I would be calling parents to come and get their child. If that continues to happen at nap I would term as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sassygirl For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I am very much of the CIO method. I also put fans in each room to drown out the sounds of other children if they cry. They don't cry anymore, but when one of my DCGs started, she would cry entire nap time. This happened for three days and she has never cried since...been here since June! If you leave them, they realize that you are not coming in to get them...no matter how much they cry. I always feel like the meanest monster ever when I have to do this, but I've done it with my own children and every daycare child I've ever had, and it never seems to take them long to understand. Good luck to you...Be strong!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamateach For This Useful Post: