Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I have very chatty parents at drop off and pick up's. It can be up to 45 minutes so I understand your frustration!! I used to stay outside with the last child but I found it didn't help. The dcg would play and mom would talk to me forever. Now if she is the last child (I have very inconsistent parents so I never know who my last child is going to be on any day) we go inside and I let her colour at the kitchen table. When mom comes in I tell her a quick overview of her child's day and then I start to get things out for supper, do the dishes, sweep the floor....anything to make it look like I'm busy. Her daughter also runs into my living room and mom doesn't get her so I will stand in front of the doorway so she can't get by me. It seems to help and make pick ups go quicker.......howeve r if she gets picked up early and there are still other kids there she takes her sweet time and I don't know how to stop that lol. I try not to be too engaging and ask questions and try to seem uninterested but without being rude. I think for some parents it's a fine line for them too...they don't want to run out of your house too quickly and look rude but then they go the extreme other way and stay far too long!!

Expansive...
    I was also going to suggest getting the child ready and waiting on the front step "for some fresh air" then when Mom arrives give her a quick overview and say cheerfully "goodnight"! and retreat inside. Otherwise, I just think you're going to have to muster up the courage to be more blunt and learn to cut her off and bid her farewell, lol. Send out an email newsletter reminding parents that at the end of the day you have your own family to attend to so pick ups need to be more quick and children need to remain at the front door with their parents as they are helping them to leave. I have a hard time being confrontational myself but there are certain things (like interfering with family time!) that need to be spoken up against to those people in this world who don't "get it".

I wonder how the parent would feel if their work day is over and a coworker or boss came over to chat. They would be pissed so why do they do it to us? They need to understand they are not visiting us they are picking up their child.

Euphoric !
    One of the things I have found that sometimes works is to start talking as soon as the parent comes in and start telling about the child's day and then just stop talking. If anything focus on the child and their getting ready urging them on to cooperate etc. if necessary reminding them it is time to go home, that mom has had a long busy day and it is time to go home.

Hopefully the parent appreciates the help and gets the hint that I have had a long day too and want to "go home". Not always but once I stop talking to them and talk only to the child they are less likely to try to engage me again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I wonder if most of these parents think that they have to be friendly with their child's caregiver?
    Hopefully, sites that offer tips for parents about daycare would include the bye-bye part. Keep it short and sweet.

Euphoric !
    Betsy, I would hope that dc families are friendly to the dcp but there is a difference between being friendly and being a friend. I have had dc parents request to be friends on facebook and I just explain to them in person that I don't add parents as friends. I am sure many friendships come out of daycare but I prefer to keep dc separate from my personal life for now. Maybe when I have children of my own I could see doing things with them outside of daycare but for now, it's a no no for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I must be the freak in the bunch here. I absolutely LOVE my clients coming right into my house, chatting with me and spending a little time. Even when my own children were very small I did. It has always been this way. Of course, if I have somewhere that I need to be, they vamoose pretty quickly and are respectful of my scheduling. Yesterday, while a potential client was here for a second interview and to see playtime, 2 clients came to pick up...hung around and chatted a bit. Then an old client from years ago stopped in unexpectedly for a visit. It was lovely! And really couldn't have worked out better as the old client was a walking, talking reference. I got the client and she loved the warm, welcoming atmosphere....she signs by the weekend. I don't draw the line between business and friends. I'm open to both. It's such a personal business and, in my experience, it puts parents' minds at ease, being so open. I've been closer with some clients than others, but have had close relationships with many of them. I facilitate evenings out so the mothers can get to know each other. I've traveled overseas and gone on camping trips with others. Some of my closest friends are former clients. That is definitely one of the huge perks of this job for me! Of course, that's not to disparage any other way of dealing with parents. It's just my way. I tend to be a little too outgoing for my own good sometimes and pick up new friends all over the place. My daughter says I'm very weird that way...but I'm not sure it's a bad thing

Euphoric !
    Oh Cfred, you are a freak! I like to meet friends at the park with their daycares and I've even made some acquaintances with some of the Moms who bring their children to our park regularly because it's so great to have adult interaction whenever possible in this job.

I like to chat a bit with parents morning and evening to keep open communications with them and learn about their child's habits at home compared with how they behave at daycare. I'm a big part of their child's life and they talk about me a lot at home so some of the parents want to get to know me better and appreciate how much I mean to their child.

But I'm friends with a few families after the child graduates and we keep in touch. I like to make sure my clients know that we have a business relationship so I don't add them to facebook until they are graduates and show an interest in remaining friends with me. I just want to keep the lines clear. And I don't mind a 10 minute conversation at the end of the day, but I wouldn't want them coming in and making themselves comfortable in my home and staying for a while, I want them to take their lovely children home and give me my nice quiet house back for the evening, PRONTO! Byebye!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Lou

Euphoric !
    Wow...I am a freak! I'm the complete opposite. We never go to the park, unless no one else is there. I have no interest in meeting up with other providers and my kids are too little for the equipment, so we don't bother. We go for walks, picnics and meals out at restaurants....stuff like that. Parents come inside and play with the kids (if they're so inclined). Sometimes we put on some tea or coffee. If it's the end of the day, we might have a glass of wine or, if I'm taking my kids out for dinner, some might join us. I've had the odd client stay on and have dinner with us if hubby is working our out of town. We have girly nights of margaritas occasionally....kind a cool. One lady's bringing me homemade perogies for dinner tonight (bless her...she knows the way to my heart!). One has offered to be my ride to the hospital for my surgery...I don't need it, but still...so nice! We're all on FB and are all going to one little gal's bday party this month. I love the connection with them! Of course, there's the odd one that makes me regret it, but for the most part, it has worked out very, very well.

Of course, I'm also single and just about dying to talk to an adult by the end of the day, so I guess that might be part of it