Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    I'm not that crazy to have that in my house. Omg I can just imagine the mess. I do have have a table that my dh built and I usually put colored rice in it. I did have easter grass in it for easter but it was a huge mess all over the house, I couldn't wait to get rid of the easter grass.

Outgoing
    Our playroom is carpet so we don't do water except for outside in the summer. I have done shaving and whipped cream at the kitchen table, and will do rice/bean/pasta sensory bins and play dough at a small table in the playroom.

I must have an aversion to sand because I have absolutely no desire to use it in or around my home in any capacity lol.

Euphoric !
    I personally hate sand but thankfully we live really close to a sandy playground so I don't feel guilty for not offering it haha. Inside I do rice or pasta in shallow containers. I put toys in their containers so they play longer. I would like to do the coloured cooked spaghetti but haven't gotten around to it yet. Another thing we do is "cloud dough" its a mixture of flour and baby oil, they love it. I haven't done it in awhile but slime is another popular one and it's actually not messy like I thought it would be. I wanna say its borax, white glue and water but it's been awhile so I could be wrong!! I found the recipes on pinterest. Homemade play dough is another good sensory project.

We do most of our water play outside and this year we did a car wash where they got to wash all their cars and outdoor toys. That was a huge hit, will definitely do it every summer. Inside on a low number day I will let them play in the bathtub.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    I use shallow bins at the kitchen table, as opposed to a sand/water table. I use the green shallow plastic bins from Ikea that are meant for toy storage.

I cover the kitchen table with a waterproof table cloth and also put cookie sheets under their bins in order to help contain the mess. I have only done sand once, but I have done water (washing baby dolls in sudsy water) and colored rice many times. I found the sand too much clean-up, so will be leaving that for outside. But rice or dried beans are a great alternative. Pom poms are also fun.

I like having it at the table so that the older ones can play without the too young ones messing with anything. That is the difference between a Multi-Age daycare environment and kindergarten, kindergartners can understand and follow rules put in place to contain the mess. I only do it with my 3 and 4 year olds.

I also like the separate bins because then there is no fighting as they each have their own.
    Yes, I did rice play with my 2-year old child too in the winter. I just put rice in a big stainless mixing bowl (with other toys, scooper) and let her sit on the floor in the kitchen. She's been instructed that she's not supposed to walk around when we do this special play.
    After she plays I brush her off (her pants and feet and take her out of the kitchen), and I just sweep the floor and put the rice back to our special container. Her parents know that rice in that container is meant for play.

Thanks for your tips for multiple kids.
    Last edited by betsy; 09-28-2013 at 07:22 AM.