Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...
    I do field trips as well (we went apple picking this morning!), and when my families signed on and I told them that I frequently travel with the kids (library, play groups, parks, children's museum, indoor playplaces, etc), they were very excited about it. I have never ever interviewed a family who wasn't ok with me taking the kids out of the house for our adventures That being said, if it was something you talked up to them at the beginning when they signed on, then yes, it's going to be something they expect as that's why they chose YOU over someone else. I agree with a pp when they said that if you plan on reducing/cutting field trips you are going to need to make a formal letter addressing it and why so they will drop it!

Shy
    Uh oh...you spoiled the parents, without even trying! I will never understand why some parents don't want to take "their" kids places to explore?! I very rarely do field trips. I find they tend to get costly awfully fast and I'd rather keep my money in my pocket! When I do go somewhere special it is only when I have 2-3 kids...always my best behaved of course. I have come to the conclusion that the kids are just as happy with going to a different park, rather than sitting in the vehicle for 1/2 hour to go to a museum.

Outgoing
    The only place I take the kids is to our local park. It's within five minutes walking distance, and if I have more than two non walkers we don't go. I tell families this right at the interview. I've never had a parent that was unhappy with this. I agree with making a formal letter, even get them to sign it.

Outgoing
    I have a parent interested in bringing her 3 1/2 yo daughter to my daycare but she doesn't want her daughter being taken out for field trips. The girl will be 4 soon and it's really hard to find children of this age group and I don't take out of schoolers, so it limits my income. I only do field trips when I have 3 children or less so we don't go out often but it is nice to get out once in a while. I just don't want to feel stuck. WWYD?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by daycaremom9 View Post
    I have a parent interested in bringing her 3 1/2 yo daughter to my daycare but she doesn't want her daughter being taken out for field trips. The girl will be 4 soon and it's really hard to find children of this age group and I don't take out of schoolers, so it limits my income. I only do field trips when I have 3 children or less so we don't go out often but it is nice to get out once in a while. I just don't want to feel stuck. WWYD?
    Personally, I would tell the parents my weekly plans and let them know that is the way I run my daycare. If they don't like the way I run my daycare or trust me then they shouldn't bring their child to me.

I am one of the caregivers who takes the children out all the time and that is one of the things I mention in the pre-screening process. No use conducting an interview with someone who won't be a good match for my daycare.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by daycaremom9 View Post
    I would take her but with the conditions that this is how you run your daycare and explain that you understand their concerns. Since you don't go that often it sounds I would offer the option of them keeping her home on those days.

Shy
    I must not have sent the message I was working on during quiet time, its on my computer, I'll send it out tomorrow.

Anyway, in my area it is no longer 'this is how I run my business and seeing if the child/family is a good fit', now it is very much a parent dictating how we are going to run our business. Many caregivers in my area have agreed to reduced rates, non paid holidays, etc and other demands from parents. Its definitely a parents market. I really understand the necessity of making changes to meet parents demands to maintain an income level in a highly competitive market where there seems to be 3 times more spaces than there are children.

This is part of the reason why I find daycare so stressful these days. I need the income and there are several other caregivers who are just waiting to get their hands on new families. It's been so depressing, just 3 years ago, a group of about 10 caregivers would all get together at the park with our crews. Now, there is only 5 caregivers who still have children, non of us are full, 2 of us with 4 and the rest with only 1 or 2.

I pre-screened my families too with regarding to the field trips. All my families were good with the field trips and were told that when I won't do field trips. I really feel that they have forgotten, which is normal. My newest family has been with me for over 2.5 years, even I don't remember what we covered in the interview, I just know it is part of my interview process

Euphoric !
    What is the norm with the other caregivers in terms of outings and what do the parents consider outings? For some a trip to the park is an outing and for others it means a trip to a museum or music concert. I would lay it all out and include in the cost of trips the insurance on the van, gas etc with the idea if you weren't doing field trip you wouldn't need that coverage and do your best to convince families that economically it is just not viable for you or the parents as you can no longer absorb the cost - any of it.

Also first my sympathies go out to everyone involved in today's bus/train collision but because it happened so close to home for you I would be taking a firm stand and saying to parents enough is enough I can not take on the liability of having your child out and about. I could not live with myself if anything happened to them on my watch. Almost everyone who lives in Ontario has seen via rail go by on a level crossing and had to stop for a train or taken their charges on a city bus thinking it was the safest way to travel.

Shy
    (this was my post I forgot to post yesterday)

Harmoni : You got it, I think you are right my parents are spoiled I pass most of the expense of field trips to my families. But yes, some months parents will owe $30 - 40 just for our programming and field trips costs. My families never complain. But then I have always felt bad and not charged for a field trip here or there or split some in half because it was so expensive. I've been trying to cut back on the things I supply for daycare, like I used to buy a big Costco box of diaper wipes about every other month to help my families, I stopped that last year. It made me realize how much my parents counted on me to supply it. Even now I ask for 1 package of diaper wipes every time they bring in diapers, do they no. Now that I am not helping out, I'm always running out and feel like I have to beg the families.

My daycare kids are just as happy going to a park as a field trip. I find the field trips are a waste of money and time with the younger group because all they want to do is get to the park of the trip where they can play and be a kid. They don't care for the museums or zoos.

sunnydays, part of my programming is also weekly yoga (but I use videos because yoga instructors are too expensive) and in the winter I have music instructor coming in every other week because outside time is reduced due to the cold. We also attend play group every week. I feel even with the reduced field trips, I have a decent program.

I am going to write up a formal field trip policy this evening. We did talk about field trips and I made it clear that I only go on field trips depending on ages and stages of the children. I do have a van and my daycare insurance covers field trips, BUT, I refuse to put an infant car seat in my van because I don't feel safe doing it (plus its a nuisance having to always borrow the car seat) and I will not go on a field trip with out an assistant, I don't feel it is safe.

I think daycare is always changing and because this group of families has been with me so long, they don't want the natural changes to occur, like my group is younger than it has been in a few years. Where new families wouldn't notice the difference.

Shy
    Playfelt, the bus/train accident has devastated my area! If you didn't personally know someone who passed, you know someone who knew someone. In my family's case, one of the people killed, was a friends brother. We have heavy hearts today as we try to move forward.

You are right, I would NEVER be able to live with myself if I took the kids out on a field trip and anything happened to them.