Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

What is wrong with my last space?

I have had one space available for a while now (about 6months). I just cannot fill it - even with an after school child!! I've tried laying things out in different ways to appeal to the age range of who I am interviewing, I've tried different ways of interviewing, different times, being as accommodating as possible without working 12 hours a day and I just can't find someone, without being to brutal does anyone have any ideas, am I missing something? Is it just a sign of the times???

Expansive...
    I am having a hard time too...I've had a spot open for about six weeks, three interviews later, still nothing. I've never had so many interviews without signing someone...it's stressing me out because I am thinking the same...am I missing something? What am I doing wrong? I know one " theme" I've noticed is parents are asking a LOT about how many kids I care for. Currently I have two dck, and my own two ( one who is in school) . Trying to fill one more spot, and maybe one more after that...so that I would have five littles during the day then my school age son. I've never had parents ask so much about ratios tho. Weird.

Euphoric !
    I'm pretty sure they're asking so much about ratios because of the bad press being splashed about lately. That's my bet. I get asked that every single time I interview. But then they don't ask about other important things....like insurance. I find that really odd that no one ever thinks to ask about insurance. As a parent, I'd be all over that!

I have a space that's been a nightmare to fill too. Finally filled it in August after a year of piecing temp contracts together to make it work. Now one of my older clients has given notice. She's sending her girl to someone with more training with Special Needs. Fair enough, but jesus....I had finally hit the golden moment of being full. Of course she let me know AFTER everyone on my waiting list had found placement. Ugh....

Oh well. I don't mind the interview process. But most contacting me now are looking for Jan, Feb, Mar. Oh well.....it'll fill....eventually.

Good luck filling those last spots. So frustrating!

Hi Calgarymom, I understand your frustration! If you think it might be your daycare area, how about asking a friend to come in and give her perspective of your area. Fresh eyes can give a different perspective of your daycare.
    Also, try not to let your anxiety to fill the spot show during the interviews. Trying to be too accommodating can give the sense that you are desperate. When showing your daycare, exude confidence with out being arrogant. Clients like to see you are proud of your daycare, and always pay special attention to their little one so they can see you interact with their child. That is always a lasting impression the clients take away.

Good luck filling your spot.

Expansive...
    Two weeks notice really is a joke. It has always taken me about 2 months minimum to fill a spot...can't help but be a little ticked by the fact that the family who left recently KNEW they were leaving for I think a while ( they went to center care, fairly certain they were on a waiting list). Dcg was 20 months. Isn't that the age when spots open up in center care? Am I wrong?

Euphoric !
    I am having a hard time too right now with two spaces to fill and this has NEVER happened to me since I opened my daycare. Normally when I advertise I get a lot of responses and then I interview 3-4 families and choose which one I feel is the best fit. Now, I haven't even had an interview! I don't know what's happened! Maybe it's the bad press about private home daycares...or maybe it's because so many new ones are opening with cheaper fees and longer hours (there is one in my area charging $10 less than me per day and she is open for 12 hour days!!!). I have been advertising my November spot for months and months with no bites...and now had another one leave unexpectedly due to her mom's work shcedule changing. At this point I am not willing to lower fees nor extend my hours...but I am getting a bit stressed too! Good luck to you!

Starting to feel at home...
    Hi, thanks everyone. I have been asked sooo many times about ratios and ages, that does seem to be a big deal, especially as I can have up six children at once. There is also a lady down the road who is a lot cheaper than anyone else around by nearly 1/2, and open crazy hours, (I'm not annoyed honestly! Lol). I guess I will just have to keep the house interview clean a bit longer

Expansive...
    Same problem with me been trying to fill my last space since Aug, just got a call with an interested Mom. I wont get my hopes up until signed contract and deposit us in hand. I have had interest but only for under 12 month olds and people wanting care until 7pm.

Had my hair cut today and hairdresser has her 2 year old in centre care, terrible care, always comes home with bad rash and full diaper. She hates the centre but refuses ti trust home care? Media for sure.