Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Cries all the time

What do you do with daycare children who cry all the time; I have 2 small ones and unless I am holding them (which is not fair to the other dck) they just don't cry, they scream. When I put them down for their nap, they scream. Really makes it hard on the other children in my care when they have to listen to this every time they are here. They are still small so I don't want to let them cry it out (1 year old) but how do you get them to stop crying at that age (or should I say screaming, lol) Makes for a very long day when they only nap about 20 - 30 min. and they are here for almost 9 hours. Moms are telling me they don't hold them at home, but I'm beginning to wonder. Any advice??

my philosophy is to let them cry, at 1 they are very smart and often manipulative. the sooner they learn that naps are whatever time you dictate the better. The transition is very difficult for sure but even harder when they aren't getting the rest they need. Good luck

Euphoric !
    Oh yes these ones have learned that crying gets them what they want ..... Cry it out ...especially at nap time... Put them each in their own room if possible and have fans or other white noise running and leave them there.... Definitely not too young for CIO

I have a 14mth dcg who mom said only naps for an hour in the p.m. with no a.m. nap. Hmmm, didn't sound right to me. I would put dcg down for her nap and yup, about an hour later the most heartbreaking wail would erupt from her. I let her cio which took about 20 minutes until she figured she didn't have me trained like her mother to come and get her so she went back to sleep for another 1 1/2 hrs!!!! She normally naps here in the afternoon for over 2 hrs easy.

Shy
    in the same boat...little one (1 yr) is doing much better overall in her transition ( this is week 3) but naps are still hell..she can scream and cry for 2 hours easy....more quiet moments in between but she still wont' sleep...sigh.
    “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.”

― Angela Schwindt

Euphoric !
    Are they transitioning at your daycare? With new babies that scream angrily because they don't get picked up I ask the parents to think about it at home before they automatically pick up their baby. Is he/she fed, dry, should they be learning to play on their own without direct entertainment from parents?

These attachment parents don't seem to realize that their child is their own person, not an extension of themselves. You have to choose your words carefully when talking to the parents but make it clear that you may not be able to continue care unless the parents work with you to help their child progress into group care.

I agree that CIO works.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Both little ones have been here for quite some time and never cried, now all of a sudden they are screeching at the top of their lungs for anything. The one little one was always brought by her mom, now dad has started bringing her and not sure if that's the problem with her, the other one, who knows. I only know the other kids do not like listening to them for 2 and 3 hours off and on. And some days they do not nap at all so it makes for a very long day for me and for the other children as well. They are just turning one and neither are walking yet so hoping that once that happens they might be happier? In 27 years of doing daycare I can truly say I have never had kids cry for this long and so often

Euphoric !
    Sounds like you need to train the parents along with the children in this case. Weird! Keep asking the parents questions. That's what I do until I figure out the root of the problem, then we can fix whatever is happening together. Sometimes the parents don't realize they are doing something that is sabotaging the progress of their child so they need some hints and help.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.