Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Children's Birthdays

Hi Ladies,

I have a few daycare children who are celebrating birthdays soon. I was wondering what you all do when it's someone's birthday? I was thinking of having cupcakes and obviously giving the little one a present. What types of things do you give to the daycare children for a birthday present? I was also thinking of getting the child a helium balloon to take home. Any other ideas?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyface View Post
    Hi Ladies,

I have a few daycare children who are celebrating birthdays soon. I was wondering what you all do when it's someone's birthday? I was thinking of having cupcakes and obviously giving the little one a present. What types of things do you give to the daycare children for a birthday present? I was also thinking of getting the child a helium balloon to take home. Any other ideas?
    I always do balloons but the ones that come on a long stick from dollaramma so they won't get stuck on the ceiling or pop. The kids love, love, love the balloons. We decorate crowns and always have cupcakes.

I don't usually spend more than $10.00 on there present and usually give it to them at the end of the day to open at home. This helps to not create jealousy. I usually buy a book or cool present from the Disney store, they always have great sales.

I don't make a really big deal as the children are so young and the concept of a birthday kind of eludes them till about age 3. That said, from age 2 and up we have a cupcake party and sing happy bday and at the end of the day I give them a book as a gift with a little chocolate treat attached with a card.

Euphoric !
    I don't do very much, but it depends on the age of the child. For the 3 & 4 year old children I ask them to tell me everything they would like to eat for their special day. I always have balloons at the door in the morning, then move them into the toyroom after everyone has arrived. The next day I cut them down and let them play with them for about a week.

We make cupcakes near lunchtime so they are cool for afternoon snack, they ice & decorate their own, then the birthday child gets to have a candle and a present. I spend about $15-20 on the present but it's tax deductible. When I serve a sugary treat it's always for afternoon snack, heehee.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I don't do anything for those under age 2 because I don't want to detract from what the parents are doing. ie no cupcakes with candles etc. That is for the parents to see the child's reaction to a candle, blow it out, face in the cupcake etc. For those 3 and up I let them choose the lunch for the day - often a choice of A or B not just a random pick and we have something special such as cookies with sprinkles or ice-cream. Parents sometimes send cupcakes and I just serve them at snack if sent not making too big a deal out of it.

For gifts I usually give them a book.

I buy them a small gift and we have a cupcake or special treat of thier choice IE burgers, fries ice cream etc. Nothing is done for kids under 2.

apples and bananas
    I bring out the balloons for play. They love throwing them around the daycare room. It's also a great time to do colour games and count them.

For kids 3 and up I will do cupcakes, but for kids under 3 I don't.

I always send a gift home. 10 dollars and under for the little ones and for the ones that are 3 -5 I will sometimes do something closer to 15.00. Gifts are usually books, playdoh, something educational.

I wrap the gift and give it to mom to take home and open later. Opening gifts in front of all the other kids is just too hectic.

Expansive...
    I much prefer to do birthday cookies ( oversized chocolate cookies with sprinkles on top) as cleanup is WAY easier than cupcakes. And I send a little gift home, usually a book or something. I haven't done balloons yet...honestly they always pop and the little bits left behind scare me because they are choking hazards. Even though I clean up thoroughly after the popped balloons I'm always nervous I forget a piece...I'm a little neurotic that way

Euphoric !
    Fun&care, I've used a cookie tower with a candle on top at a child's birthday celebration before and the kids loved it too.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.