Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Easy soup recipe share?

Okay, I admit it...I have not had much success making soups. Stews/chili I have no problem with. If you have an easy, kid-approved soup recipe please share
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Love to make soup for myself but never serve it to the daycare kids. The broth never makes it to the mouth or gets spilled from the bowl. Too many of the little ones don't bring their arms up to their mouth they just move from the elbow meaning unless the food sticks to the spoon it runs down.

Having said that the best way to start with soup is the stock. Cook some meat beef or chicken and save the drippings as the stock base. Makes for a much better soup. My preference is to chop an onion and sauté in the soup pot and then when just beginning to carmelize - ie stick to the bottom of the pan add the stock to get all that off to add flavour. After that add whatever veggies you have on hand, some of the meat you cooked, a few noodles or rice and soup is on the table in very short order. Often just use frozen veggies to save on the chopping. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, etc to taste. I do sometimes add a bit of the bisto to thicken the broth slightly but not as thick as a stew or you can puree some of the soup and stir it back in as a thickener.

I served soup to one of my dck's who was a very mature 4 yr old who could hold onto the bowl with one hand and fed with the spoon, other than that, I don't serve it either.
    For some great soup recipes, I look to Pinterest, there are also some great suggestions for toddler foods.

Euphoric !
    I serve soup all the time .... Mostly cream soup I make myself and I put the moulded bibs on the kids that have the scoop on the bottom to catch the drips but if u serve a vegetable type soup I add some crackers to thicken it up so less spillage and then I spoon feed the youngest one. I make cream of cauliflower , broccoli, celery, potato and leek, carrot, and squash. They are all made basically the same ..... Sautee onion and garlic in some butter until softened, add peeled diced potatoes and sautée for about five more minutes, add your vege of choice (broccoli or celery ect ) add broth to cover all the veggies (I use the Campbell's tetra packs) and bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 30 mins and then ladle out the veggies into a blender and purée adding milk or light cream. I leave a few chunks just cause I like it that way .... Sometimes if I have extra veggies in the fridge I chop them up small and add to the bowls when I'm serving it to the kids. My dcks love my soup and ask for seconds and thirds. Check out www.allrecipes.com for lots of soup recipes

Expansive...
    I think soup is awesome for the kiddies...I just put less broth in it so there is more veggies/ meat, and for little ones who can't handle broth I strain the broth right out. I'm making chicken and rice soup tonight actually!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    If I have a bunch of left-overs I'll put everything into a pot and add some broth, left-over gravy, tomatoes and/or tomato sauce. Really just a hodge-lodge of things. Oh yeah, I'll also add some extra veggies: frozen or fresh peas, celery, carrots, zucchini, really anything that's in the fridge. My hubby always complains when he sees the soup pot out but he always compliments me on how good it was.lol

Thank you so much! Agreed that the thicker soups are better

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    I love love soup in the winter, but I don't serve it to the daycare children. The messiest thing they get is yogurt so that it sticks to the spoon and I don't let them feed themselves yogurt until they are about 2. I make chili once in a while and I also feed the under 2's myself. Sweeping and vacuuming every night is enough for me without having to scrub my rug!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

I serve soup at least once a week and serve it out of a cup that way there is no issue with spoons and missed mouths. The older ones who can use a straw may do so but I find that straight from a cup is super easy and quick clean up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I serve soup at least once a week and serve it out of a cup that way there is no issue with spoons and missed mouths. The older ones who can use a straw may do so but I find that straight from a cup is super easy and quick clean up.
    That is a great idea! Thanks

~Anonymous~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post: