Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Provider way over ratio

So, a woman I know operates a dayhome. I've always thought she seemed to have a lot of kids around but never was too certain. Today she posted on Facebook that she regularly looks after 13 kids plus her own 3. It appeared she was trying to get attention and praise for her patience, etc. I emailed her letting her know that in our province you are only allowed 6 plus your own. To which she replied, 'unlicensed dayhomes are allowed to have unlimited children'. I am not trying to be a hag but I found this a bit concerning. Thoughts? I don't want to 'rat' her out but at the same time I feel this is exactly what gives dayhome providers who ARE following the standards set before us a bad name. Guess I will see what the rest of the week brings - if her numbers seem more normal - before I do anything.
    Last edited by busydaycarelady; 09-23-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Where are you located busydaycarelady? Are they all school age? Wow that's a lot.

Euphoric !
    I may be a small person in this regard, but honestly, I'd rat her out in a flat second.

This woman is your direct competition and, really, linked to your own reputation (all of our reputations). She's an unlicensed home daycare doing EXACTLY what is being profiled on CBC. NOT COOL!!!! With that many kids, it's just a matter of time......

And really....to sound like a complete witch now....how stupid is this woman? She's actually posting this on social media? Good doG!!! People like her are a hindrance to those of us doing a good job. We ALL take the brunt for people like her and it's not fair >

Nope....shut her down.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have to agree, call her in. Usually I would say don't do it, but most providers don't go on facebook and brag, she seems like a piece of work.

I agree with the others. First it is unsafe to care for that many kids at one time and second if you are dumb enough to brag about the crime (which makes all of us look bad) then I would call it in.

Shy
    I would for sure call it in. My #1 concern here would be for the children. I live in Ontario and here especially, we have had some very bad caregivers being caught with too many children. Children have been hurt and have died. I would feel a responsibility to those children (even if they are not in my care). If Mom and Dad are not looking into it and she has too many and doesn't care, someone needs to speak for these children. I know from doing this job, that there is no way to give quality care to that many children. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Starting to feel at home...
    I am in Alberta. She seems to have a mix of about half elementary age and half 1ish-3ish. I was surprised she was foolish enough to post that for everyone to see. I thought I'd see if she has less the next few days since I brought this up to her, but honestly, she's likely to continue and not care. It's way too many kids and I know I couldn't provide proper care to that many kids. I will likely call her in today. If anything bad did happen to one of those kids, I would feel bad.

Expansive...
    The good thing in this situation is that now that she has put it on social media, it could be ANYONE who calls her in, so she won't be able to point the finger at anyone specific...

Expansive...
    I wouldn't know where to look, but are the laws regarding private home care available online? Might do her (and those kids) some good to send her the link. Otherwise, I'd call her in. She'd know it was you and will be pissed but it's the kids you have to think about.

Outgoing
    I normally like to keep my nose out of other people's business, but this is OUR business! There is talk of regulating unlicensed daycares precisely because of what some irresponsible providers are doing. I would report her in a heartbeat.