Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Maternity Leave Benefits

Just wondering if anyone has actually applied for and used the EI benefits for self-employed people? How was the benefit amount calculated? I have tried calling EI many, many times and it is impossible to get ahold of anyone.
    If I have another baby there is no way I will keep my daycare open so this is the best option for my family.

Euphoric !
    Type "paying into EI" into the search engine on this page and a thread started by mama mia will come and reggio explains it the best... In a nut shell its not really worth it to pay into ... You would be better off setting some money aside every month in a separate account and then pay yourself when you are on mat leave ..... Many providers just take a few weeks off and have hubby take the mat leave and that way you can look after the daycare and dad can look after the baby.
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 09-24-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Outgoing
    Thanks, Crayola. I read that thread and all the others related to EI benefits. In my situation paying into EI is the best option. I am likely only in the daycare business until I have a baby so for me it makes sense to take advantage of these benefits.
    Just wondering if anyone has actually paid into it and made a claim?
    Also, what happened to Reggio? I always looked forward to reading her advice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gravy_train For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The problem with the EI is the amount that will be paid out is not worth what you will pay in for the same period because of what is used to calculate the amount.

Outgoing
    The rate actually isn't that bad, Playfelt. You pay $1.88 for every $100 you earn up to a maximum of $890 per year.
    The benefit rate is 55% of your net income up to a maximum of $500 per week (or an annual net salary of approximately $47000).
    So if my net income, or 'earnings' is $20000 I would pay a total of $375 per year and would receive $11000 in benefits for 52 weeks of maternity leave. I would have to pay into EI for more than 20 years in order to have paid more benefits than I receive.
    Last edited by gravy_train; 09-25-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Shy
    To get through to an ei rep call 1-800-206-7218 and keep hitting 0 and then 1 (brings you back to main menu) ....you may have to do this several dozen times but eventually you will get through....you don't need to listen to the recording just keep hitting 0+1

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MichaelsMommy For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thank you, Michael'sMommy! I was able to get through and actually had someone call me back to answer my questions but I am going to call and speak to someone else to verify the information the first person told me... I would hate to find out mid-pregnancy that the information I have been given isn't true.

Outgoing
    I figured there had to be at least one person on here who has utilized these benefits!

Expansive...
    I asked this question last year and got some very rude comments. People were saying who wants to take a year off? I took a year with my 1st and wouldn't ever trade that time for a million dollars.

The only stipulation is you need to be paying into it 1 year before you receive it. So if you are pregnant now and sign up you can't use it.

My problem is getting pregnant has been difficult. My white blood cells have been dropping and we don't know why so we are taking a break as it could be due to stress. I need to focus on getting me healthy before even thinking of baby number 2.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks, Skysue! So did you already register for the benefits?
    I agree, I have been able to stay home with my other children and I feel that my whole family needs that in order to adjust to the new dynamics. I could not properly run my daycare with the ljmited amount of sleep havin a new baby brings. at least when you are home with your own children you Can nap in the afternoons to recharge.
    i am not pregnant yet because I am not eligible for EI until June so we are waiting another month or so before we start trying. I also think that it would be really hard to manage several toddlers in the last trimester so I would like to have the flexibility to be able to leve work at around six months prrgnant.
    I had no idea tht stress could cause an issue with white blood cell count! It's really amazing how our mental health is so connected with our physical health, isn't it?