Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Tree Nut Allergy

I have a little girl starting next week with a tree nut allergy. I know some providers won't accept a child with severe allergies however I have decided to take her on. We don't eat a ton of peanut products to begin with (I don't eat any as my brother had the allergy growing up) but the little bit we had I have cleared out.

My question is what to do to prep for her arrival. She is 3 yrs old and quite verbal. She knows to ask before she eats anything. She also has an EpiPen. I am writing a memo to daycare families letting them know we are becoming tree nut free and asking them to wash their child's hands/face and brush their teeth in the mornings before arriving (if they have consumed peanut products). I was thinking about having the family with the allergic child sign something so not to hold me legally responsible if something were to happen. Anyone have something like this?

Starting to feel at home...
    peanuts and tree nuts are not the same. tree nuts are walnuts, pecans etc. that grow on trees. They can also encompass apples, peaches and other fruits with seeds that grow on trees. You will have to do way more research. good luck

I've had a little guy with nut allergies in my care in the past. While I am familiar with food allergies and sensitivities I found it very stressful. I would definitely have the parents sign a waiver and also, if you haven't already, a medical intervention permission form just o cover yourself. When I expected he dcb here I would use Lysol to wipe down surfaces ahead of time. Cetaphil soap for oily skin is also good to have in the bathroom as it removes oils on he skin. The parents used to provide this. You might also post a "nut free zone" sign in your front entrance.

Did the family specifically say just tree nuts? I'm just curious because I had an allergist tell me once that if there is an allergy to one, both should be avoided as they often go hand in hand. Also be aware that lots of soaps and creams have nut oils in them ie shea butter. Good luck!

I tried to become nut free for a short term child with an allergy before, but found it stressful. Not from my end as I was very cautious about what I brought into the house, as I knew this child's health was my responsibility. However other clients never seems to take it seriously, or just forgot. Children came in munching on cereals that were not nut free, despite no food from home aloud. One came in smeared in peanut butter after eating PB on toast in the car on the way over. It was often on her coat & mitts.

Euphoric !
    Sorry, I should have been clearer. It is tree nuts and peanuts. I am aware that peanuts are a legume.

Euphoric !
    I have also removed the almond butter, almonds, walnuts and pesto (has pine nuts).

This little girl's allergy is specific to the nuts and not fruit. Also, she has been on planes where peanut products were served. The parents said she is only sensitive when consuming them.

Expansive...
    Hi! Allergies are serious but I really don't think people need to panic so much. My daughter is also 3 and has allergies. We are teaching her how to live in the real world, not a bubble. It is easy now because we control everything she eats. I teach all my daycare kids to keep their food to themselves, don't touch other people's food etc. That's just good manners, regardless of allergies.

Your dcg's allergy is easy to deal with because she has to actually eat the allergen. Dairy, egg
    and wheat and any contact allergies are much more difficult in my opinion.

I don't think you have to go crazy warning the other parents. I don't allow outside food period so that's never a concern. I have dcks with many allergies and some other parents don't know.

Good luck, it will be fine. Common sense and a little hand washing will do wonders.

Outgoing
    I watch a child who has a peanut allergy and its really not that hard. So many things have the labels on their products. Also, if you make your own meals then its not that hard. Also we don't eat peanut products when she is around.

Euphoric !
    Accepting a child with an epipen is a challenge, but I had a little girl in my care who had peanuts and tree nuts allergies and carried an epipen too. The family provided one for me to keep in my medical emergency pouch that goes everywhere with us so it was always with me. I advised the other families the same way you did and taught the other children to watch out for nutshells at the park because people feed nuts to the squirrels.

Reading labels was the hard part. I didn't realize you can't even serve some rice cakes and things like that because they may have trace of nuts. But if you cook from scratch like I do it's a minor problem.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.