Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Slow out there?...

So...is it just me, or are any of you ladies having a difficult time filling spots? I have one spot remaining, and this time last year I was so busy I had to turn people away. This year...not so much! blink:

Shy
    I am really stressing out! I had two one year olds and was advertising for an over 2 year old. I have a three year old son and a 1 year old daughter. Finding it really hard to fill the 2 year old spot as they are harder to fill usually. Just found out yesterday that I am losing one of my one year olds in two weeks because of work change with Dad. So now I'm down to one DCK!! Started heavy advertising yesterday but I really need to fill these spots and not even getting a call!!! You are not alone espresso33.

Yes it is slow for me as well. I entered my postal code to see how many d/c's have spots and it seems everyone is wanting on average another 2 dck's. I think my area has a lot of good home daycares and parents are a little wary. I am holding off increasing my rates for a while.

Starting to feel at home...
    Slow as molasses... (east of Toronto) I'm down to 3 part time and 2 school age. Last September I filled 2 spots within 2 weeks. I interviewed for a 10 month old this am but they're still looking at options and it wouldn't be until January. Yup, stressed!

Expansive...
    Yes I'm in Barrie and it's slow! I have 6 daycare kids all part time. I even have a 12 month old one day a week. I am making less than last year and I had 3 full time 2 part time.

I think the new trend is getting other family members to help to cut down costs. It's a tough economy.

Thinking of going back to school at night to change careers. Aviation is over for me and daycare is making it hard to pay the bills.

Expansive...
    I've been advertising for a spot since the last week of August, had a few interviews but no bites...but I have a waiting list for next year at least. Getting a lot of calls from parents looking way in advance. Still though....slow.

Expansive...
    Really slow here too. Sigh. I started advertising in June for 2 spots that were supposed to be filled but the parents changed their minds about going back to work. I have barely had emails from anyone or calls and only 2 interviews since that time. The 2 people that did interview didn't work out. Family 1 went with another provider and the second is still deciding.
    I have spoken to the providers in the neighbourhood and checked by postal code online and there are a LOT op providers with openings.

I occasionally get emails that are not going anywhere i.e only a few days a week or only needing backup care etc.

It seems like finding a decent full time family right about now is like finding a unicorn. I keep seeing more and more grandparents at the park with their grandkids or else moms deciding to stay home

I also wonder if it is slow ever since the recent daycare death in the Newmarket area where the provider was over ratio and whether the negative CBC story and then the daycare death just have people backing away from home daycares I have never seen it this quiet. Usually I am turning people away.
    Last edited by Spixie33; 09-25-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Euphoric !
    Do you have a website? I get enquiries all the time because people find my website. It's my location though, I'm near downtown where all the offices are located in our city so I get lots of interest. Find your niche and advertise your strengths and make sure your ad sets you aside from the ordinary. Mine is my home cooking, organic foods, cloth diapering is welcome and that I was in Guiding/Scouting for many years with my own children. Figure out what makes you noticeable to parents in your ad.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Agreed- it is slow!!!!!! I am almost completely empty and have been advertising in 4 different spots for 3 months. Yup- stressed! Thankfully Hubby just got a decent raise at work

Euphoric !
    Ugh..yep...slow. In the summer, when I was full, I was turning people away on a regular basis and had a wait list 5 deep. Of course, now that a client has given her 1 month notice, everyone's disappeared, back into the woodwork. Wait list? Already placed. Yep....thanks for holding the info that you were looking around so close to your chest....so I couldn't actually USE anyone on my waiting list. Grrrrrrrr........ Everyone's now looking for Jan, Feb, Mar....sigh.......