Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Basement daycare space ?

So my open date is next month, and I'm getting excited but today my neighbor told me I am not allowed to have a daycare space downstairs because there is no entrance way. Is this true? I tried googling it but couldn't find anything. I live in Ottawa, in a mid sized townhome it has a fairly big finished room in the basement. There are 2 small windows, and it is well lit, it's a really nice space it will mostly be used for playing, eating and sleeping will be done on the main floor. So really it's just a playroom I don't see the problem with it but she said there is a law against it even just for playing. Can someone let me know ? Thanks

Phone your local fire department or perhaps check into your city's bylaws regarding having a home based business where you are bringing in clients into your home.

Euphoric !
    I'm in MB but here you can not have a licensed home daycare in the basement if there isn't 2 exits and children can not sleep in the basement. I use my whole basement (it's set up like an apartment...bathroom ,kitchen,living room, bedroom, laundry room) for daycare but because I am private, this is allowed. Maybe your neighbour is thinking of a licensed home? I am not sure what ON laws are though. If you have extra home insurance for your daycare they should be able to tell you the rules too. That is where I found out some of the rules for MB

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I'm in MB but here you can not have a licensed home daycare in the basement if there isn't 2 exits and children can not sleep in the basement. I use my whole basement (it's set up like an apartment...bathroom ,kitchen,living room, bedroom, laundry room) for daycare but because I am private, this is allowed. Maybe your neighbour is thinking of a licensed home? I am not sure what ON laws are though. If you have extra home insurance for your daycare they should be able to tell you the rules too. That is where I found out some of the rules for MB
    I am a licensed home daycare in Manitoba and your home as a whole must have two exits, but not necessarily two basement exits - this is why a daycare in an apartment would never be eligible for a license. It is a different story if you are a licensed group home daycare as you must go by a different set of regulations due to the number of children in care - which is a max of 12, instead of the max of 8 in a regular licensed home daycare. It is only not allowed to let the children sleep in the basement and there must no access to the furnace. Making sure you have hardwired smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are also important.

But adequate home insurance is important no matter what, make sure you let your insurance provider know your plans.

Euphoric !
    Oh ok!! I was under the understanding 2 exits from the basement (windows can be one if you are able to get out of them). Thanks for clearing that up

Expansive...
    Yeah, the basement needs windows too though there was no size requirement - mine weren't measured or anything.

Hi, I was with an agency and when I moved in a townhome and someone from the agency come to inspect and it was ok, as long as you all fit through the window if theres an amergency its fine. I'm in ottawa as well-