Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Parent who don't pay

Hi Everyone,
    My contract states payment is required in advance, I have a DCM who decides to pay me when she wants not when its soppose to. Well today is the last day of care of 2 weeks, she texts me saying she'll be bringing them to school and gramma is picking them up tonight..so I text her back asking if gramma will be giving me my pay, she never answered me- my last day with them is next friday. Still haven't heard from her.
    So she owes me 3 weeks, plus on the contract I have $10 a day late fee each day their late.
    If I don't hear back, is collection a good thing to do? or just let it go?
    do I still give her a receipt, even though she owes a balance?

Euphoric !
    Today becomes her last day of care until back payment is made or you will be working next week for free too. If she is going somewhere else you pay is probably being used as the deposit. Email her and let her know payment is due by noon tomorrow and there will be no further care until the money is paid.

You won't get paid more than likely but you also won't be working another week for no money. Collections is an options but just because you get a positive settlement doesn't mean you get any money or that the fee to the collection agency makes it worthwhile. Sometimes hitting them where it hurts and pulling care for non-payment is just as effective at making you feel better. But please don't do care next week and let her continue to string you along with promises of payment.

Hopefully you have a replacement child already lined up and if not then ads should be put up today announcing new start date.

No receipts unless a payment is made. Until she pays up for the back two weeks you are unable to complete the receipt so don't give her one. Come tax time next February you will owe her a receipt for any amounts paid to date but you do not have to give it to her now. I would hold the receipt for ransom so to speak and hope she pays towards the amount owing in the meantime.

Euphoric !
    First of all never ever continue care until payment has been received. For myself payment is due Friday morning for the following 2 weeks. If they don't pay Friday morning they cannot leave their child for the day (a day of which they have already paid for). I do have a late payment fee of $15 for any parents that I agree to keep their child (sometimes exceptions for long time parents). That fee begins at noon on Friday and continues at noon everyday until payment is received (including Saturday and sunday). I had a family not pay me on the Friday and then cancel care immediately. They still owed me for 2 weeks. We worked out a payment plan and they did pay me. I held all tax receipts until payment was received. I gave them 6 weeks to pay in full or I would file a Small Claim in court. Luckily I didn't have to take it that far. I am more strict now and will not keep a child for the day if I do not receive my money Friday morning.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Today becomes her last day of care until back payment is made or you will be working next week for free too. If she is going somewhere else you pay is probably being used as the deposit. Email her and let her know payment is due by noon tomorrow and there will be no further care until the money is paid.
    Well said! Absolutely don't let them come back until she pays you. Don't let her make excuses. Either they show up with the money on Monday or no care.

Euphoric !
    I hate to say it but you are not going to get your money. I would hazard to guess that she's not coming back either .... I would put her unpaid fees in collections and make sure you always get paid in advance from here on out .... Never provide care that hasn't been paid for.

Seriously, if Grandma doesn't bring the money, then I would pay a visit to their home this evening requesting payment - with your husband. I would keep it friendly and listen to her excuse for not being able to pay and then let her know in the same friendly manner that if payment is not delivered this evening by xxxx time then you will have to make the business move of terminating her contract and sending her account to collections and then walk away.

I know some of you will say not a good idea, but if you stand up for yourself in a business professional way then perhaps they will see you mean business and are taking control of it.