Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by daycarewhisperer View Post
    I love the daycare kids. I love them with every cell of my being. I would give my life for them. I don't love them in the way I love my son. I don't love anyone the way I love my child.

I don't think you have to love kids to be a good child care provider. I don't think you even have to like kids to be a good child care provider. The best staff assistant I have ever had was with me for 7.5 years and she didn't really LIKE kids. She was dang good at taking care of them but she wasn't attached to them. It didn't matter what kids were here thru the years. Once she learned the craft she could take care of any kid and know them... understand them a couple of weeks after she met them.

It's like any other job... you can be great at it but not necessarily LIKE the job or the customers. I get attached easily and I fall in love but that is just my thing. Not necessary to be great at the job.
    Ok you may love your daycare kids and I love mine too but that crock about someone who doesn’t like kids can be a good provider I just don't buy.

If you hate your job then there is no way you will be amazing at it not in a million trillion years. I run from people that do daycare and say that they only do it because they love the kids and it's not about the money.

I enjoy kids I do my job for my paycheck and yes your kid is going to irritate me sometimes heck mine irritates me most days.

If I didn't like kids how on earth can I be nurturing and loving. There is no way!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I was trying to keep my mouth shut, but this is hilarious. I know how you run your daycare and it's really nice that you love the kids through your computer monitors daycarewhisperer. Didn't you close up your business because you are tired of running a daycare or is that just a rumour?

Skysue, I completely agree with you that it may just be a job for some people and it is a job because we have to earn a living, but holy cow, I wouldn't want to leave my child in the care of someone who didn't at least like kids. Why would you go into the profession of caring for kids if you don't like them? That would kind of be like becoming a nurse but you faint at the sight of blood.

Just my opinions!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I just want to clarify...I like kids, in fact I love being around kids. What I was talking about was comforting kids. I guess I find it harder to comfort kids when I see that it them crying just to cry. If they hurt themselves they get hugs if they are crying for mom and dad they get a hug, if it continues on then they are left to "collect" themselves and they can join the group when they are ready. Make sense?

Expansive...
    Makes perfect sense!

Expansive...
    Personally I much prefer being with kids than with adults most days. The part about the provider not liking kids is interesting...I do for a fact know a few women who are school teachers and swear they will never have kids not sure what their deal is, but it makes for interesting conversation.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    Ok you may love your daycare kids and I love mine too but that crock about someone who doesn’t like kids can be a good provider I just don't buy.

If you hate your job then there is no way you will be amazing at it not in a million trillion years. I run from people that do daycare and say that they only do it because they love the kids and it's not about the money.

I enjoy kids I do my job for my paycheck and yes your kid is going to irritate me sometimes heck mine irritates me most days.

If I didn't like kids how on earth can I be nurturing and loving. There is no way!
    Child care is just like every other profession.. it has workers that dislike their jobs and dislike their customers. We aren't special. Millions of people go to work every day and dislike it. You can be great at something you don't like doing.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    I was trying to keep my mouth shut, but this is hilarious. I know how you run your daycare and it's really nice that you love the kids through your computer monitors daycarewhisperer. Didn't you close up your business because you are tired of running a daycare or is that just a rumour?

Skysue, I completely agree with you that it may just be a job for some people and it is a job because we have to earn a living, but holy cow, I wouldn't want to leave my child in the care of someone who didn't at least like kids. Why would you go into the profession of caring for kids if you don't like them? That would kind of be like becoming a nurse but you faint at the sight of blood.

Just my opinions!
    I just celebrated my twentieth anniversary on Sept 17th and yes I did close my business for three months to remodel my home and sell. The house didn't sell so we will try again shortly.

I absolutely get tired of doing child care. Anyone that works for 30 plus years in the same profession will grow tired of it. It's okay to talk truth. :-)
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/

Outgoing
    This convo reminds me of watching Deadliest Catch crew interviews when they are asked if they eat crab. They say NO, I can't even stand the smell of it. Year after year they go back out fishing because the money is great and they are GOOD at catching fish. It aint personal.

I would venture to guess that more than half the kids in this country are being cared for by people... staff... home child care providers that don't really LIKE kids. Many many home providers start taking care of kids because they can't afford daycare when their second child is born. It is the only way they CAN make money from home. It takes next to zero money to start up and no skill set or education required. Those are WAY more common reasons for doing child care than a love or like of kids.

Many many center workers take care of kids because it is a very low entry level skill set and they can get a JOB.

We aren't special in this profession. Having a love or like for kids is a bonus for sure but not mandatory to be great at it. Now HATEING kids... that's a whole nudder kettle o fish.
    Last edited by daycarewhisperer; 10-02-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Euphoric !
    I do sorta understand daycarewhisperer's POV. When I worked in healthcare I was always told that I was great at my job and should consider going further with it. I just laughed and said I may be good at it but you don't know what is going through my head as I'm doing the job I am paid to do. I did it because the money was good and I loved my co-workers but I was always looking for an out!

I love children and I always used to say that I wanted a home daycare but not necessarily my own children so I understand the childless dcp's. It is awesome to spend my day with children and then I get to send them home and I still get to live my life the way I want too for right now. Now that I have found a partner I want to spend the rest of my life with we have decided to have children. It will be great that we won't need outside daycare but it's definitely not the only reason I started my hdc.

Each person is different and their reasons for having a hdc are going to be different and their feelings towards children are going to be different......and that's ok!!! Our differences are what makes the world go 'round!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by daycarewhisperer View Post
    This convo reminds me of watching Deadliest Catch crew interviews when they are asked if they eat crab. They say NO, I can't even stand the smell of it. Year after year they go back out fishing because the money is great and they are GOOD at catching fish. It aint personal.

I would venture to guess that more than half the kids in this country are being cared for by people... staff... home child care providers that don't really LIKE kids. Many many home providers start taking care of kids because they can't afford daycare when their second child is born. It is the only way they CAN make money from home. It takes next to zero money to start up and no skill set or education required. Those are WAY more common reasons for doing child care than a love or like of kids.

Many many center workers take care of kids because it is a very low entry level skill set and they can get a JOB.

We aren't special in this profession. Having a love or like for kids is a bonus for sure but not mandatory to be great at it. Now HATEING kids... that's a whole nudder kettle o fish.
    I actually disagree with you on the fact that to be a daycare provider you don't need a skill set? It takes huge transferable skills to do this job well. The same goes for teachers a piece of paper is never going to make you a great one, it's dedication and a love for the student. There is a HUGE difference between quality daycare vs cheap daycare.

Yes anyone can open up a daycare but to be successful at it is a whole other discussion. Look at the movie Mr. Hollands Opus, he started out just doing it for the paycheck but he realized that in order to get through to his students he needed to give a dam.

I have been in and out of the "customer service" industry for 25 years and let me tell you if you don't like it you will burn out fast and become substandard. Sorry don't want that caring or teaching my kids!