Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Not the thing you want to hear - sure shows parents have no idea what we go through with the kids and the issues the parents created in them. This kind of thinking makes me so mad. I don't do a lot of crafting with the babies anyways. It is not my job to make something for the parent's refrigerator so they can brag about how great their kid is. If they want fingerpainting they can do it themselves.

Not sure what the supply and demand for kids is in your area but this situation is sure not starting out very well. Unreasonable demands, not hearing what you are saying - I assume you have mentioned that child is taking extra time to settle in and get comfortable.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Sorry but I would email back and say exactly that .... I'm sorry there has been no crafting but it's difficult to craft when xxxxx is having a hard time and is only happy when I hold her and that makes it tough to set up a craft for all the children and get them ready and offer help where required when she crying. The other children are very disappointed as well. Perhaps try to not carry xxxx at home and let her play on the floor more as this will help her immensely at daycare where I cannot possibly hold her all day. Here's to better crafting days in the future"
    I myself hate crafting and I rarely do it.... Only for special occasions. I find that with 5 one and two yr olds it ends up just being my creation. Crayons and chalk are available at all times.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks everyone .

I emailed her back right after. It was polite, but long winded and not overly warm or friendly. I really want her to feel silly for even asking me that at this point. I just explained that at this time I'm not comfortable taking on the prep and clean up of an activity like that with her, as she isn't comfortable enough to let me do that without screaming and crying. I told her that her nap schedule is also a barrier, but in the future we can possibly do some more open-ended sensory/messy play that she can partake in as well. But I reiterated that it is only her 5th day, and that my goals for her are to be happy and comfortable, as well as eat more, and until those goals are met, crafting and messy activities will fall by the wayside. I also explained to her that the other kids have suffered in this too, as prep time for all activities has been reduced or eliminated. I have been telling her all along that she's having a tough go, so I was surprised that she was expecting me to have done that kind of activities at this point.

I didn't make any suggestions about what to do at home, but I think I should have. It would have put some of the responsibility on them. I'll have to from here on out. My friend put it best when she suggested that I "ask for some suggestions to undo her overly attachment parenting style that isn't practical for childcare" lol.

Demand is high for this age group, and to be honest, I was leaning that way anyway, just due to the issues transitioning (I've been trying to tough it out as it's my first new to day care kid, and I thought perhaps this was no different from any other little one), so this certainly doesn't help. I'm going to see how she responds and we'll go from there.

But I'm not impressed.
    Last edited by 2cuteboys; 10-08-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Euphoric !
    I'm glad to hear you emailed her and used the tone that you did because seriously this parent is totally out to lunch. If you've already told her the child is having a rough coping time in all areas due to the attachment issues this parent has created then what did she expect???? Did she seriously think this kid would one home with a portfolio of art work in the first week? Some kids take months to transition and unless this parent gets with the program and realizes her child is not the only one that you care for this is going to be one of them ..... Doesn't really sound like this is a parent that is going to work with you with this issue or future ones. Makes me very thankful for the parents that I have in my program.