Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Re: Hand leash

Starting to feel at home...

Re: Hand leash

I'm looking for hand leashes to use when I take children for walks. Joan Lunden's leash is not ideal for me since it does not restrict the toddler/pre-school child from "exploring"....i t just keeps the child attached to you. Well, I try to teach children to be "street smart," and one of the things I drum into them is to be aware.
    An "exploring" child could easily forget he's off the sidewalk. Some parents abhor the use of leashes because they say their child is not a puppy.

I'm looking for those old-fashion leashes that don't cater to political correctness in lieu of common sense, in other words.

Are they still available?

Hello. As for those against leash type things...I say whatever keeps the child safe. I personally use those fabric children's belts that I tether to the wagon (or stroller) that my toddlers must hang on to while walking. A friend/fellow home daycare provider uses the plush character backpacks with leash (it looks like the animal's tail..very cute!) attached....here is the link to them on the walmart site (although you can often find these second hand).
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goldbug-2-...arness/4532497
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Also found the Velcro wrist leash at ToysRUs...pretty inexpensive. My relative found this very effective with her very very busy 2 year old...
    http://www.toysrus.com/buy/outdoor-p...26103-13115899

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Any of the leashes I have came from walmart but years ago and are the old fashion kind made of a navy webbing. I use them as seatbelts in my wagon. The harness goes on the child and the rein is wound through the bars on the wagon sides and I just clip them all in. We used the same process to turn any adult chair into a high chair when our kids were little and for many years for my special needs child that needed support when sitting. It is a good way to allow younger children to "sit" with the other kids but to be a bit off the floor.

Euphoric !
    I call them my Toddler Restraint Systems and they are little backpacks that cost about $20 at Walmart, but I'm sure you can buy them elsewhere. They are ponies, puppies, Elmo and other creatures and they are very cute on the kids but then they are attached to my wrists. I get looks of scorn from some people all the way ranging to people who comment on how safe I keep the children. You betcha, the kids in my care will not dart onto a busy street by accident, ever! I would have to live with that forever, so my walkers stay attched to me.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    I use the same as momof4 and I love it. The backup goes on their back and then does up around their waist so they can't slip out of it and the leash attaches to my wrist. When you are pushing a stroller and have 1 or 2 walkers it is just much more safe IMO.

However, I do understand why some people do not like them. It does sorta give the child a sense of false security and sometimes it makes the child not want to hold your hand when not using the leash because they are used to having more freedom. However, I still use them!!

Re: Backpacks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    ... I get looks of scorn from some people...
    I too got so many looks of scorn a couple of summers ago when I used the plush child's backpack with leash/tail that I held at a major theme park on our then 2 year old son. I just don't get it??!!

~Anonymous~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don't use leashes however I am in a very quiet area with minimal traffic. If I were in a busier area I might entertain the idea.

I have had 2 go astray only once and they had major time outs and have yet to repeat the offense.

Euphoric !
    I have leashes attached to my stroller. My 2 three year olds hold them and if they let go it gets attached to their wrist (only happened once). I have the backpacks as well and I have only used them when we go for a walk on a really busy major street (I live downtown Toronto). If a kid is having a hard day and I have a spot in the stroller they get put in there. New kids are always attached to the strap by the wrist until I can trust them/they understand the rules. Kids also always walk on the side of the stroller away from the cars (they will switch sides when I tell them to) so there is an extra buffer between the kids and the cars. I bought my backpacks on ebay for $3 from China. They are cute bat wings so the kids love them.

Starting to feel at home...
    LOL! I thought I was the only one who uses these!! Man oh man! The stares I get and the comments I hear from the older kids playing on the school grounds (OMG! who would put their kid on a leash!? I never would! - oh yeah! You wait until you have little kids miss priss and your 2yo is running into the road....sorry...appa rently I'm a little sensitive with this topic. LOL!)
    I actually think I'm probably quite a sight to see as I push a double stroller, the school girl walking ahead of us, and then have the 2 3yob's on either side of me attached to my wrists with these 'leashes'. 1 is a runner and the other is new and I haven't quite figured him out yet.
    The one I use is amazing! I got it from Toys R Us and it came with a bear that the child would wear in the front. You could use this with the backpack thing or just as a wrist strap. I use it as a wrist strap bc the boy would always walk angled leaning forward so a basically had to hold him up (not fun so I pulled that idea). The strap that came with it is awesome because it isn't elastic like the others I have found and keeps this boy with me so he can't have any give on the rope. It's starting to fray but it does the trick The other strap I use is ok http://www.toysrus.com/buy/outdoor-p...26103-13115899 but it has give because it's elastic material so depending on the child it could become a game (hence why I don't use it on the other boy bc he turned it into a lets see how long this sucker can stretch and if the velcro let go that would REALLY hurt flying back onto my hand). This is the only one I can find anywhere though and I didn't want to buy all these backpack things just for the strap. Hope that helps