Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I stopped stressing about the non-eaters and realize it isn't my job to make them eat and it isn't my job to be a magician and make things like veggies disappear into other foods. My job is to serve a balanced meal and the parents to pick up the slack since I agree that in many cases they made the problem in the first place.

Euphoric !
    I agree with DCW and Playfelt...stressing about food is not worth it. On the other hand, it is in my best interest as well as the childrens' that they eat well and stay healthy as if one is constantly picking up colds and flus, it passes to the rest of us as well and not only that, but I have to care for a constantly sick and cranky child. I don't make special meals for any one child, but I do put thought into my meals and try to pack as much nutrition in there as possible so that we all stay as healthy as possible. I can't force them to eat it and I can't force their parents to feed them well at home, so I don't worry about it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I stopped stressing about the non-eaters and realize it isn't my job to make them eat and it isn't my job to be a magician and make things like veggies disappear into other foods. My job is to serve a balanced meal and the parents to pick up the slack since I agree that in many cases they made the problem in the first place.
    I realized this after the first year of having this daycare. I used to hide veggies in meals. I am not doing that anymore. They get to see the broccoli, cucumber, cauliflower, carrots, etc. and they eat them most of the time. A favorite with my current group is cheesy cauliflower. It took me about 4 times of serving it and we went from nobody touching it to everybody asking for more now. I don't know how they eat at home and I don't ask parents. I serve foods and if they don't eat what I serve they go hungry so they learn very fast to eat when meals are served. I think it also helps in my particular case that I always start with infants. So they get to learn our daycare eating habits since the beginning.

Euphoric !
    In agreeance with the last few posters on this one. I make it, I serve it, you eat or you don't, your choice. And that is that. I used to stress big time. I had a little boy who would cry hungry when mom/dad picked up at the end of the day. I could tell that Mom, in particular, thought that I must be starving her darling boy. So I started to say "I bet your tummy is so hungry because you chose not to eat snack today! Tomorrow, make sure you fill it up when we eat. *happy Daycare-lady smile plastered on* But I can't fight it if Mom then says, "Oh, I have some licorice strings in the car, baby!! You can eat some of those."
    I am all for hiding veggies and fruits if that is what you are going to do anyway. But I am not sure doing so, just for this one particular child, really helps anyone. Then the rest of the daycare kids are not seeing all the healthy foods that they are eating, right? I would continue to offer balanced choices. If she eats, she eats.
    Unfortunately, you have her for one meal and one snack, 5 days a week. Mom/Dad have her 2-3meals and 2 snacks a day, every day. You can only do what you can do. Sounds like they have made their choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    I realized this after the first year of having this daycare. I used to hide veggies in meals. I am not doing that anymore. They get to see the broccoli, cucumber, cauliflower, carrots, etc. and they eat them most of the time....I don't know how they eat at home and I don't ask parents. I serve foods and if they don't eat what I serve they go hungry so they learn very fast to eat when meals are served. I think it also helps in my particular case that I always start with infants. So they get to learn our daycare eating habits since the beginning.
    I could not agree more. Another poster gave great advice on this to me when I first started, that it simply our job to offer healthy food. I used to hate throwing out so much. In fact, I bring that up in interview. That I serve what I serve; of course, allergies being the exception. I've learned to serve my super slow eater first, to start with very small portions and to serve the dessert (usually fruit) only to those that finish.
    I have 2 in care right now that won't touch a vegetable at home...but gobble everything up here

Kids have great power when it comes to food and I feel they realize that. So, I try to take a relaxed approach in that they have to try but beyond that I don't get upset. I have one that holds everything in his mouth if he doesn't like it...soooo gross! I'm still working on overcoming this one (right now he stays in his chair until the food is swallowed...not safe otherwise!).
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Starting to feel at home...
    It's true. Mom and dad have made their decision. They'd rather not bother trying to teach him proper nutrition at all if it involves ANY sort of possibility of dispute. I just feel so bad for this kid because he is not as healthy as the other kids are and I'm sure it's because they eat healthy. And they've even begun letting him pick exactly what he wants for dinner regardless of what it is. Needless to say this causes many disputes with little sibling who is still made to eat what mom and dad eat for dinner. It's getting harder to feed him each day but I'm trying not to let it bother me. There are many days he won't eat even things he used to because he has become so used to eating exactly what he wants at home. The kid won't even eat jam now because it's made of fruit. Parents have even gone do far as to tell him it's okay to not eat fruits and veggies as 'everyone's body is different and he just doesn't need fruit or veggies'. Why????!!!!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I suggested making a one bite of everything rule it you don't leave the table or get dessert etc. they responded with 'that is cruel and unfair'.

Euphoric !
    jam is fruit LOL...it's too bad that the parents are teaching and allowing this behaviour and way of thinking.

I don't think your rule is cruel or unfair. I have a picky eater and I do this with her as well. She will now take a bite and some things she said she didn't like she now eats. There are days I am sure she is going home hungry but I don't know what else to do. I refuse to give her mac and cheese every day which is what she tells me she eats for supper every night.....and I believe her! I have though included her in the meal planning some days and this helps. You can adapt it a bit to make it healthier...for example whole wheat pasta instead of white.