Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

How to teach Bite (Not shove whole thing in!).

Trying to teach my 19 month old dcb to bite (not shove whole thing in his mouth). Suggestions? I've been reinforcing it all I can but if my back is turned for a minute, back to his old habits. I am surprised this child has not choked yet!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing

Sounds like my own son LOL

He's 18 months old. Rarely bites his food and shoves it in by the handfuls. Hasn't choked once. Its kind of funny to watch but I know it definitely needs correcting.
    Looking forward to the ideas!

Thanks. Thought perhaps I was expecting too much too soon as when I correct him he gets frustrated and seems ready to cry; I also don't want to turn meal times into a negative for him.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Continue to cut pieces up small and use a larger plate so things are spread out not piled - harder to grasp a wad of food. Time to teach use of a fork - stab one piece at a time - even a small piece of toast and put it in the mouth then try to reinforce fork down. Once they have swallowed pick up fork, eat, fork down. Yes when your back is turned it will be stuff stuff but at least with a fork it is a slower process - one pea at a time.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have an 18 month old dcg who does this too. I tried using a bigger plate with less food on it initially so I could spread it out on the plate more. I also have to keep telling her, only one piece! And sometimes even make her drop others until
    She chews and swallows this first piece. A fork is a good idea too.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a 2 yo dcg who stuffs. It worries me that she'll choke (don't want to practice that CPR) but it's kind of funny at the same time. She'll shove it in and then look to see if I've noticed. Then she gets this really guilty look on her face , reaches in with her fingers and pulls it back out again. Ugh... ok, next lesson...

Euphoric !
    Ok well this is going to sound odd and I myself would have never believed until I witnessed it first hand but I had 12 month old dcg and mom was a pediatric nurse and she said do not cut things up give them whole this teaches them to bite... If you cut things up they just keep putting more and more into their mouth until they choke. No word of a lie ... It worked not sure if it was just thus particular child or if the same principal works for all kids but I never cut up anything for this kid ....apples .... Pears ... Plums... Sandwiches.... Wraps....nothing !!!

Euphoric !
    I was going to suggest what crayolakiddies did.....I cut things up for them when they are young but as they get a bit older I cut the stuff in bigger pieces and encourage them to take bites. There is still the odd stuffing of food in mouth but when I remind them to "eat nice" they take bites again.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    Ok well this is going to sound odd and I myself would have never believed until I witnessed it first hand but I had 12 month old dcg and mom was a pediatric nurse and she said do not cut things up give them whole this teaches them to bite... If you cut things up they just keep putting more and more into their mouth until they choke. No word of a lie ... It worked not sure if it was just thus particular child or if the same principal works for all kids but I never cut up anything for this kid ....apples .... Pears ... Plums... Sandwiches.... Wraps....nothing !!!
    I did this with my own kids, too. Never any choking issues. Although there is a little guy in my care that this does not work with. I tried this with him, and he tried to cram an entire fist full of sandwich into his mouth

Quote Originally Posted by JennJubie View Post
    Although there is a little guy in my care that this does not work with. I tried this with him, and he tried to cram an entire fist full of sandwich into his mouth
    Exactly my situation

~Anonymous~