Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Anyone who has ever taken their special needs child into public especially when they were young knows all too well that they were being judged by standards their child didn't have a hope of meeting and without being given the chance to explain we just had to look the other way - why is that 5 year old still in a stroller and not walking ( because I am trying to put off the expense of a wheelchair as long as I can) - why is that child making that funny noise (because she is non-verbal and can't speak and needs to indicate a need somehow) ......etc. As a parent you grow a thick skin and well my child who is now 20 years and only barely acts like 20 months is oblivious thank goodness to what goes on around her.

As with anything we need to stop and think about a situation before we react and if the world did that a little more it would be a nicer place for everyone.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree playfelt.

I just wanted to say though, not everyone staring is judging. I worked with adults with special needs and so sometimes when I am out and see someone with special needs, I will look at them think, "wow, he/she sure reminds me of ____. I wonder what she/he is up too now?" or I will think "I am so impressed with that parent, they are handling this difficult situation so well. I hope I can be that strong and awesome as a parent with my own children some day." Some people may be thinking "I know what that parent is going through, I've been there many times myself."

I think sometimes we see people staring at us and we automatically think they are judging us and being negative. It just isn't always the case though I myself enjoy people watching when I am out and about and I watch people of all sizes, shapes, colours, abilities. It doesn't mean I'm being negative and thinking mean thoughts.

(but yes, I know that some stared at the adults I worked with and were probably thinking mean thoughts but I tried to not let it bother me. I often wonder too if that person just hasn't been exposed to it and so they are looking in interest. Me judging them for looking was/is no better than them judging the client I was with)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: