Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Loud cry (fake?) on and on....

I have an 18 month old DCB who, only when corrected/time out cries loudly on and on and on (if he falls down/hurts himself, however, he may whimper for a second but is soon off and running).
    Example: Today, this DCB took toy away from younger DCG, I went to him and sternly said "No take toy, ...'s turn....give back to .....".
    Result: Immediate loud crying. So, I put him in time out. "When you are done crying you can come off time-out"
    I timed it this time...27 minutes of loud loud crying. As soon as he stopped I said "all done crying?" Nod. "All done time out, go play".
    I have been using this technique for 3 weeks now. It is not helping at all to shorten the loud crying. He does the exact same at home. Any ideas?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Normally I would say ignore the crying but for 27 minutes............n o way. So I would place the crying child on my lap or get down to their level and look them in the eye (easier said than done with some kids) and sternly say "crying all done or you are in your bed" I may have to say it a couple of times and give them a chance to stop, but if the child doesn't stop crying then I would put them him/her in their bed (my daycare playroom and nap room are on the same level) and tell them when they stop crying, they can get up and have a hug and resume playing. Good luck

Euphoric !
    I usually ignore crying like that and start playing/having fun with other kids. If they are crying really badly I have them go somewhere else and have their cry and they join us when they are ready. No fuss about it. I don't give them any attention during this time. Once they come I will be super excited to see them and praise them for coming back.

Euphoric !
    I guess the first thing is that I would look at why he is crying. Yes, he is upset because he wanted to play with the toy and you made him give it back to his friend. But also, he is confused. At 18 months he doesn't yet understand why he can't have it now and why he has to give it back, so he is crying because he is angry, confused, frustrated at this perplexing situation. I would think that rather than a time-out, which doesn't help him learn any social skills or how to occupy himself while waiting for another turn, you could try redirecting him to another toy or activity that will take his mind off the toy he wanted. Even singing a song or reading a book can distract him enough to make him forget...at least long enough until it is his turn.

Euphoric !
    I agree with the above suggestions.

I have also started to fake cry when this happens repeatedly and the fake crying child usually finds this hilarious and stops crying because they are laughing. Then we have an age appropriate talk about why crying for no reason is no fun for anyone.

Starting to feel at home...
    Yup- I have one of those too. I usually look him in the eye and sternly say "NO, you have nothing to cry about. that's enough"! He seems to get it. resulting in big breaths and a sigh, wimper (another NO) and he stops. if not; I do put him in his bed to work it out. once we are all done we are back to playing again.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I agree with the above suggestions.

I have also started to fake cry when this happens repeatedly and the fake crying child usually finds this hilarious and stops crying because they are laughing. Then we have an age appropriate talk about why crying for no reason is no fun for anyone.
    I so should try this....fake crying back at him...too funny!

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    How annoying! I would ignore for a few minutes but then after that it would set off my others since they are all the same age. I would do as the others suggested, a stern look down on their level and say "Stop, All done!" and if continues off to the playpen they go!

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyFarm View Post
    Yup- I have one of those too. I usually look him in the eye and sternly say "NO, you have nothing to cry about. that's enough"! He seems to get it. resulting in big breaths and a sigh, wimper (another NO) and he stops. if not; I do put him in his bed to work it out. once we are all done we are back to playing again.
    Oh boy, I sure have tried this. Absolutely nothing that I have tried stops the crying... sternly telling him to stop, using a gentle approach, ignoring. Once he starts it just keeps going and going. I like the idea of removing him to his bed (in a room just off my daycare playroom) & as soon as he stops bring him back. This way, we are getting some relief from the sound and hopefully, with no attention at all during and lots of positive when he's done...it stops more quickly.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Try the fake crying and let me know how it goes....it almost always works here!!! I use it as a last resort tho lol. I do the playpen thing the most often and when they are calm they can come back out. Sometimes it's because they are tired and they fall asleep in the playpen for 10 minutes and then I wake them up. This little catnap is sometimes all they need. I don't allow more than 10 minutes because I want them to nap at naptime!!

Just a side note...the fake crying came because when we sing "if your happy and you know it" and we get to the "if your sad and you know it, cry boo hoo" they all stop and watch me fake cry...they are fascinated by it LOL